jclee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
jclee
I stumbled across this the other day:

ASPCA | Exotic Animals as Pets

I was a little horrified by the way that people like us are depicted on the ASPCA site, and so I wrote a letter to their general mailing address. The gist of my letter was that, while some of their grievances are valid, they are complaints that most of us share about the mistreatment of exotic pets. I explained that the generalizations were offensive, and that it would be more productive to revise their site to note the possible abuses/problems with exotic pets without generalizing, and with solutions or useful sites listed.

If anyone else is a little miffed at the ASPCA's anti-exotics-page, and would like to write a letter, the address that I wrote to was:

American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals
(ASPCA)
424 E. 92nd St
New York, NY 10128-6804

*I'll be posting this on all of the exotics forums that I frequent; maybe they'll actually write a responsible page that discourages the impulse buying of exotic pets without lumping them all in as poorly maintained, aggressive disease vectors.

(Even if you don't write a letter, you can always read their webpage and play "spot the logical fallacies/inaccuracies." It would be fun if it weren't so infuriating.)

-JC Lee

Every year they send me a solicitation (maybe more than once a year) for donations; I used to answer each one with a letter stating why I would not support them, and that they would save money by taking me off their mailing list (I didn't mind them paying the postage, but I minded the waste of paper). They never listened or replied. I gave up. Also, I believe that they don't share their national donations with local shelters, so I will sometimes send money to my local shelter, but I do not support the national ASPCA or the National Humane Society. And PETA--don't get me started!!

okay I don't know much about other reptiles and exotic pets but I know from just a few weeks of reading on this forum the conditions people keep their pets in is unbelieveable - I mean the hard work and thought and sheer brilliance is outstanding and for them to just generalise everyone as uncaring and cruel is stupid - that could happen with any pet even non exotics. For a long time many people thought of rodents as disease ridden animals who were only fit for spreading disease and infection but they are incredibly great pets and very affectionate and as long as you are sensible about it and wash your hands etc theres no risk of these illnesses etc.

And the part about them not bonding well with their owners that is a pile of **** too, and i bet many members could testify to that!

Rant over now :)

Yes... As an animal lover since I was a kid I'm always torn between supporting the good parts of these institutions while hating the more extreme aspects generally controlled by ignorant , petty, people.

How many Axolotls would there be if not for the people who keep them?

Yeah, I think most of us agree that impulse buying and (deliberate or accidental) mistreatment should stop. I just found fault with the sweeping generalizations that seemed more a tactic to deter people from becoming exotic pet owners through fear-mongering than anything else. It would be much more responsible and affective to address these concerns -- and many of them really are legitimate worries -- in a more logical and realistic manner.

...thus the urgent need I had to write a letter and spread the word. :cool:

Yes... As an animal lover since I was a kid I'm always torn between supporting the good parts of these institutions while hating the more extreme aspects generally controlled by ignorant , petty, people.

But that happens with all animals...dogfighting, animal hoarders, etc. but you don't hear the ASPCA wanting to ban cats and dogs.

But that happens with all animals...dogfighting, animal hoarders, etc. but you don't hear the ASPCA wanting to ban cats and dogs.

And you are not going to. Dogs and cats are big business. So, of course, spend millions to save that hissing, frenzied, possibly rabid fur ball with razor blades on its feet and euthanize the tank confined little slimy innocent whose only true threat to society is that on the off chance that its uneducated owner releases it into the wild and it survives long enough to cross the path of some native, you end up with a hybrid. Never mind the fact that every dog and cat in existence right now is in fact, a hybrid.

So, no, Dawn, I don't support PETA or the national ASPCA either. I do own a dog who was a rescue from my local shelter. That is as far as my support goes.

I wrote them an email explaining my displeasure with the "magic brush of generalization" they used on that nonsensical page. Lumping wolves, wolf hybrids, and Primates in with corn snakes, hamsters, and leopard geckos.... really? Comparing adult iguana behavior to a sugar glider or dart frog?
Yes... some reptiles carry Salmonella... but they typically exhibit symptoms and even if they do not basic hygiene and good husbandry eliminates the "threat". I don't see anyone trying to ban my poultry.

It's a ridiculous, uniformed, insulting, page written by, and posted by, idiots for idiots. :mad:

I have not read the webpage yet, in part because it will only make me mad.

It is amazing how "caring for animals" turns into crazed millitant aggression. Not down with PETA. I spend countless hours fretting, diagramming and planning ALL of my pets' habitats to ensure their full enjoyment and natural experience. This whole dogs and cats only mentality makes me very upset because for me, I couldn't have either. My mom was allergic. I could only have a newt. That turned out to be such a great experience and taught me about not only the newt, but chemistry, physics, behavior, plants and the crazy snails that came in on the plants. I learned and grew so much because of my exposure and love for my little squishy Newton. I don't think a dog or cat would have had anywhere near the same impact on me.

I like all animals, and believe we should care for them and respect them. I do NOT think we should support a domesticated-mammals only mentality. We share the earth with everything, better to foster respect and care responsibly than ban any interaction that could be "risky".

Hahaha. Pardon me for saying this. But what the heck are these people(aspca) smoking? How is keeping an exotic animal bad? I mean they mentioned CORN SNAKE. SERIOUSLY! What are these guys smoking? That just made me laugh so hard. Because a corn snake has been domesticated to an extent. Its not a persay "domestic" animal. But it isnt a "wild" animal at the same time. Again pardon me for what I have said and say, no offense to any officers out there. But they do not know w hat they are talking about. First off these animals can do "well" with us. We provide them the basics: Food, water, shelter, heat/cold. We provide it with a clean and healthy environment, visits to vets and such. Most of these animals last 2x times longer than in the wild. We not only provide them shelter, but we provide them a stress free environment without predators and worries. Like okay so they didnt evolve as a dog or a cat did. But hello, reptilians and amphibians do not have that evolve brain of a mammal. If we wanted an evolved animal we would go for a hamster or something. Even rats. Lets face it sure there are some stupid people out there. But t here shouldnt be any laws against those type of pets. Cause what happens if a said person lives in an appartment that allows tanks only? No cats nor dog. Or the person is allergic to fur. But that same person needs company of another living being. Thats a possibility. Or a possibility that the person simply doesnt have interests in canines or felines. Sure I have interest in just about everything except equines. But doesnt mean I dont want to keep my reptiles. To be completely honest. If some stupid rule came out like that Iam pretty sure everyone in here would smuggle them in their house and still keep them. Even if they say they wouldnt. Iam pretty sure they would. If these people dont want animals to end up with bad care or end up in the streets. Like a friend in another forum said. They should make them have a license before they even buy them. And to get that license they have to pay a fee of 20-30bucks. They have to take a test on care. If the said animal is missing. Somehow that person doesnt have it. Then they fine that person. For possible release of the animal. Sometimes some animals will die on their own. Some will make it into captivity and some wont. Its survival. Thats why its not THAT bad if ONE out of ten captive bred animals died, EVEN with proper care. Just because like some people and other animals SOME will make it. Some wont. Its just plain stupid to even generalize us with all those idiots out there. Its outrageous, and down right wrong. Because they are clumping us with idiots.

Sorry if I sound mean. Just thought the truth should be spoken. Oh btw, I remember watching an episode of deadly attractions smuggling a camera into a reptile expo. Talking about reptile expos like they are concentration camps for animals. Course the animals have to be in a small confined space. Reptiles/amphibians like to hide alot. so this relieves stress. It also makes the journey safer. Than animal plopping about in a larger container. Its kinda silly to think otherwise. Its not like a dog that NEEDS to run around. Sure its not good either. But its not bad. It has its pros and cons. But its the safest form of travel for them, to an expo. You know?

i must show my respect for the ASPCA, they take care of the animals until a good enough owner comes around or until the animal is beyond their capacity.

i agree fully that their broad generalizations do offend me, but at the same time i've seen the horror stories first-hand, iguanas in small dog kennels, bearded dragons in a cold/damp 'tall' tank, monitor lizards in puppy kenels, 8ft boas in a 40 gallon tank, the list goes on, it can't be easy for anyone to have to work with those situations on a daily basis, not that the same doesn't apply to dogs and cats it's just an easier target as the general populace would agree that keeping 'crawlies' is wierd in the first place and the ASPCA needs to find a common link with the general populace.

all that said, i do believe in animal rights and i do help with the local rescue shelter (i do not house the animals, i simply help take them from bad people), i have never and will never support PETA (they are hypocrites, plain and simple), and i love my tiger to death, but this is where i must disagree with Earthbound (nice to meet ya by the way, =] ) if the laws stated that no reptiles could be kept in a house and if they were then the animal should be put down i would comply and put mello down (then donate his body to the local high-school for study), i must uphold the law as i like not being murdered or stolen from.

I have not read the webpage yet, in part because it will only make me mad.

It is amazing how "caring for animals" turns into crazed millitant aggression. Not down with PETA. I spend countless hours fretting, diagramming and planning ALL of my pets' habitats to ensure their full enjoyment and natural experience. This whole dogs and cats only mentality makes me very upset because for me, I couldn't have either. My mom was allergic. I could only have a newt. That turned out to be such a great experience and taught me about not only the newt, but chemistry, physics, behavior, plants and the crazy snails that came in on the plants. I learned and grew so much because of my exposure and love for my little squishy Newton. I don't think a dog or cat would have had anywhere near the same impact on me.

I like all animals, and believe we should care for them and respect them. I do NOT think we should support a domesticated-mammals only mentality. We share the earth with everything, better to foster respect and care responsibly than ban any interaction that could be "risky".

I really hope that you do read the page and write a letter. This is exactly the kind of rational, sincere, and respectful commentary that might actually get through to them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back