Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tahitian sand and Drift wood

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hello all please excuse my novice questions!

I have recently purchased some Caribsea Super naturals Tahitian moon sand which I am expecting to take delivery of on tuesday, However, I have a couple questions regarding the substrate switch over, My plan is to switch about a fifth or quarter of sand every 3-4 days, the reason being my cycle only completed about 2-3 weeks ago so I am worried changing the whole substrate at once will cause a cycle crash, Another reason is that I am very clumsy and heavy handed when it comes to removing my poor pets from there tank so I would like to keep them in there during the change my reasoning being If I am only changing a small amount there will not be much dabree in the water and I can change without disturbing them a great deal, obviously I will rinse the sand as need, but If anyone dis-agrees and thinks I should remove them please tell me.

I have also bought some driftwood for the first time, I have been soaking it in water boiled in kettle and repeating the cycle when the water cools for 4 days now. After this soaking process will the wood still naturally weigh itself down? or will it need to be anchored? And my next and final question is aimed at Eric, I remember a post of yours informing as of the colour of your water due to wood (I am sorry do not remember the chemical name) and although I have been rinsing for this amount of time the water is still slightly tea coloured, at which point can I/should I put the wood in tank?

Thank you for your patience If you managed to read this far, and thank you for any advice.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Tom,

Are you talking about the tank in your avatar? It has lots of decorations in it. The bacteria will have colonized on all surfaces, so that removing allof the sand won't make much of a difference. You might have a slight ammonia peak, but it will quickly go away. You won't have to go through a whole new cycle. It's like when you clean out your filter. Might be a slight bump but is soon regulated by the established colonies.

It will absolutely definitely be much less stressful for your axolotl to be somewhere other than in the tank when you change the substrate. Put the axootl into a separate container in a cool, darf, SAFE (from cats, kids, etc.) place in the house. Fill a bucket or something with tank water, put all of the decorations etc. in that water. Remove the substrate (oh that will be fun!) and add the new, rinsed sand. Put a bowl on the sand and add the water into that - this keeps the "sand cloud" to a minimum. Once everything is in place, put the axolotl back it.

-Eva

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Thank you Eva, I am fully aware HOW to remove and store my Axies from there tank but I am terrible at putting it in to action! I was really hoping you would say my way is fine:(. The tank in question is not the one in my avatar but it does have several decorations and plants.

I will do it your way maybe I will fridge them for a day when I do it, it has been quiet hot the last few days, how is the weather in Germany?...I only got 20lb of the sand I hope it will be enough!

Manifest

Reaction score
I have obtained a substance called Purigen from my aquarium store which is a synthetic polymer in a little mesh bag that goes into the filter, helps the filtration process and helps remove ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and tannin from the water, it cleaned up my tank in a matter of hours from a weak tea to crystal clear. The one I have is good for 400 Litres, which in my 100 L tank can be used 4 times before I have to replace it. Seachem. Purigen might be what you are looking for?

melfly

Reaction score
Hey Tom
Regarding your wood, the tannins could leech out for some time.
I have a smallish piece in my big tank that was 2nd hand when i got it, and it still discolours the water slightly. Its not bad for your axies tho.
And mine discolours slowly so i dont really notice it for a while then all of a sudden i think 'that waters looking a funny colour lol'

Mel

bunny27

Reaction score
When I switched to sand just a few months ago, I took out my axolotls. If you're having a hard time taking them out, what I would do is use a tubberware that will fit them and just scoop them up (with the water of course) once they surface. That way, you won't ever have to touch them and there's no net necessary. Once the sand is settled, you can lay the tubberware in the water and they can swim safely out.

I don't know about switching my sand every 3-4 days to prevent cycle breakdown, but I was able to switch in one day (or all at once) and put my axie's back in that one day. Of course I also waited 5-6 hours with the filter on, until the sand settled and also tested out the water chemistry with my kit and luckily I had to no change in chemistry. My axie's were fine and I did monitor them for a couple of weeks and tested the cycled water, which still had no problems.

I'm just sharing my experience though. If anything's incorrect or if anyone disagrees with me, please do correct anything I've said as I'm also learning.

The Tahitian moon sand is really pretty and Good Luck!!

Last edited:

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Thank you every one for your advice it is appreciated.

Although I confused you all a little, I already know how to move them about and how I should change substrate I was simply asking if it was safe to change other gradually without moving everything out my tank. but never mind I will change all at once with no axie's I will also put the wood in at same time now I am sure it is safe.

Thank you bunny that technique does sound pretty effective, I did try it (I thought I had a great thought! did'nt realise everyone knows;)) a while ago my axieswere way too wiley and I was way to clumsy to make it work!

Edit: Has someone any experience with this purigen stuff? I cant seem to find out on internet if it is suitable for my ehem filter

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!