Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is this safe for my pets?

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Hello, I 'borrowed' some tubing from work hopefully to use in a home made chiller. I just want to make sure it is safe to use.

Heavy duty PVC air hose, non-toxic FDA compound PVC with Nylon reinforcement

Any Ideas?

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Oh dear, I was hoping someone would be able to help, I am worried about the nylon webbing in the middle of the pvc, I have no reason to think nylon is dangerous to amphibians just think its best to check for the sake of me saving £30 I will not use if in doubt

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Any water hose approved for "human consumption" (don't eat the hose) should be safe to use in my experience. The Nylon reinforcement is enclosed in the tubing and will not come in contact with the water.
Now... my experience is based with fish, reptile misting systems, water falls and filters for Dart Frogs. I also build boats (well... not me personally) and we use A LOT of the reinforced tubing for Fresh and Raw water washdowns, filtering and drinking set ups on board, etc.

Dreamtheory

Reaction score
any water hose approved for "human consumption" (don't eat the hose) should be safe to use in my experience. The nylon reinforcement is enclosed in the tubing and will not come in contact with the water.
Now... My experience is based with fish, reptile misting systems, water falls and filters for dart frogs. I also build boats (well... Not me personally) and we use a lot of the reinforced tubing for fresh and raw water washdowns, filtering and drinking set ups on board, etc.

lol! XD

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
This stuff is just fine to use. Even nylon tubing is fine if it is potable water rated, which you won't likely find. Nylon actually absorbs water and degrades over time so it is really suitable only as a siphon tube or in dry air systems where moisture contact is minimal.

For aquarium use there are three types of readily available, inexpensive tubing that are best to use:
(listed in order of durability)

PVC
Blended PVC / Polyurethane (This is what is most commonly sold as aquarium tubing)
PET

Silicone and high purity silicone are ideal, but expensive and sometimes hard to find for the hobbyist.

I should note that one must be very, very careful in choosing tubing for use with water. Many FDA approved for food use tubings have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal treatments which may be harmful to amphibians. Most often it is a result of the use of pure silver mixed in with the polymer, but sometimes copper and or unpronounceable chemicals you never heard of are used. Avoid these at all costs.

As an industrial maintenance technician specializing in robotics and automation, I work with tubing for pneumatic and hydraulic systems pretty much daily. I too save the scraps and bring them home for use with my various projects, when the tubing is suitable.I include links to both McMaster-Carr and MSC industrial supply here as they have quite a bit of useful information on tubing. I do not recommend purchasing from them as they are expensive. You can get the same stuff for much less money elsewhere.

McMaster-Carr
Browse the MSC Big Book

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Ah, thank you sludgemonkey just the man I was hoping would reply. the tubing is 12mm so no good as a airline or syphon for me, nevermind I will put it in the things I will never use part of my tank cabinet.

It is a shame as there is PVC tubing of every width and length at work unfortunatly it is all nylon webbed.

Thank you once again sludgemonkey

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1