2 Fire Salamanders together, M/F?

SheEpYW0lf

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hello.
I want to have 2 fire salamanders together.
I'm not really interested in them getting babies, as I don't know and can't really find anyone that would buy them, if they did, and I don't want to kill the babies. So the only option would be to buy either 2 males or 2 females, right?
Now my question is just whether it should be male or female. I could imagine the males getting into a fight, if they were together, but I don't know? Can anyone give me some support? And maybe some pro/cons of both things.

im not very well acquainted with fire salamanders, but assuming that they are similiar to most salamanders behaviourally, if the home is large enough and they have enough hididng places there should be no issues with fighting, breeding on the other hand may be an issue, you could try and seperate them during breeding season or alternatively you could try and keep the temperature as such that they are never triggered into breeding (this would be risky depending on the cooling method).

here is the caresheet just in case you haven't read it yet.

Caudata Culture Species Entry - Salamandra salamandra - Fire Salamander

i have no doubt that a member who is well versed with these critters will come a long and provide more concrete first-hand experiences, im sorry i can't be more helpful to you.

I didn't want them to breed, that's why I wanted either 2 males or 2 females together. That's what I'm asking :b

oh, then go for the females, they tend to be more outgoing and friendly, lol.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back