Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl feeding

Ajolote

Reaction score
I'm going to get an Axie soon, and I read from some breeder that he feeds 2 times a week(Mondays and Fridays). Is this right? Cause I have heard of others feeding daily??

tomkeogh

Reaction score
It depends on the size, I have a small juvie and 2 sub-adults feeding daily and by-daily respectively, Adults seem to eat 1,2 or 3 times a week. I really struggle to get my head round the idea of not eating daily. I can't believe it!

Ajolote

Reaction score
So juvies eat every other day and adults twice a week? And how many pellets for adults? And juvies?Just to be cleared.:happy:

tomkeogh

Reaction score
No, sorry I have confused you juvies eat daily and eat less often as the get older, my 5inch eats daily and my two 8inch eat every other day.

I cant really tell you how many of the pellets to feed(what type are they by the way?), Earthworms are the best food though. take a look at this Caudata Culture Articles - Foods That whole website is great, also take the time to visit Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander The general rule of thumb is if your axolotl's bodies are as wide as there head from birds eye view they are well fed.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
For fish and most other aquatic animals I've kept a good rule of thumb is "Feed as much as the animal will eat in 5 minutes and then clean out the rest".
I break the rule with Bloodworms and pellets for Axolotls however (not hand fed like earthworms) because sometimes they are not that great at the hunting aspect of the game.

Aleksthegreat

Reaction score
When i feed my axie pallets (bloodworms) I must feed her every day but when I give her a big earthworm or a little fish she's good for 2-3 days :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!