Trying to understand...

Dreamtheory

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Dreamtheory
Hi everyone, I'm really trying to figure out the difference between all these terms I'm listing below, I haven't been able to find anywhere on these the definitions of all these terms. Yes i did look before i asked.

Terrarium

Vivarium

Paludarium

so whats the difference between these, I understand that they are used for different species of animals, but i don't quite understand yet.

Sorry I am an eager learner

thanks much =)

A vivarium is an all-round name for all the other kinds of set up. A terrarium is normally a set up without water, exept a bowl.
Paludarium (comes from the Latin word 'palus' which means swamp) has more water, mostly a just a few cm to a max. of around 20 cm deep (in that case you could also speak of Riparium. 'Ripa' = shore)

Last edited:
Vivarium indeed comes from the Latin word Vive, which means 'life'. This could be a little box with a spider, and even a aquarium. As long there is something living in it. That's all it means.

Aye, technicially speaking a terrarium is an enclosure to house plants. By definition they are strictly terrestrial and sometimes called Wardian Cases. If live animals are housed in such an enclosure, it becomes a vivarium. A paludarium may be plants or animals or both. What makes it a paludarium is the presence of a water feature be it standing or flowing. An aquarium is a completely aquatic enclosure featuring plants, animals, or both. An insectarium is a specialized enclosure for insects or terrestrial arthopods. An aviary is for flying animals. A refugariam is an annex to any enclosure to raise live foods or promote breeding/ rearing of animals .

is it possible a moderator could make a post which each of these terms gone over with there definition so people like me who are looking for the answers can find it easily?

I think it would be great help to all the new people joining every month

and thanks a lot for the discussion on the terms, its been helpful and very interesting!

There´s a glossary project going on in this forum. I´m sure these terms have been or will be included.

Awesome glad to hear it! I'm sure it will be very helpful :D

Don't forget "urodelarium."
I made that up. It's an enclosure for urodeles, or salamanders. I'm hoping it'll catch on.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back