Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Urgent!

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
I have 2 axolotls in a 29 gallon tank. ive never had a health issue with either aside from one having occasional fungus, which is always treated with salt water baths until it clears up.

recently i was given an adult GFP axolotl and told that shes skinny because she has problems eating large pieces of food. as it turns out, thats not the case. she wont even eat small pellets or blood worms. shes weak and seems to lack the "gasp" to suck up food like my other axies do. a friend with salamanders suggested force feeding with an eye dropper. i managed to get some bloodworms into her with that method and she didnt spit them out but she also didnt gobble them down. she may just be sitting there with a mouthful of worms, i dont know. i couldnt get her to open her mouth for more though so i think i need to let her rest and try again tomorrow. this is still more than shes eaten in the last several days, im sure.

im so worried about this girl. :( what else can i do? i have her quarantined away from my other axolotls. ive called around and no vets in my areas will see an axolotl. i wish i knew what else to do.

lea

Reaction score
hi
what are the water parameters and is she on gravel???......she might like a earthworm better but you might have to cut it up for her........you might have to put her in the fridge but please wait until someone with more experience jumps in with advice
i hope she is ok

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
hi
what are the water parameters and is she on gravel???......she might like a earthworm better but you might have to cut it up for her........you might have to put her in the fridge but please wait until someone with more experience jumps in with advice
i hope she is ok

she is in a bucket with an airstone/airpump to keep the water oxygenated. she gets a 100% water change daily. water parameters are perfect and im using a dechlorinator. no gravel. she is being kept in the bedroom at a constant temp of about 67 F. i take it that any bait shop will carry earth worms?

lea

Reaction score
from what i have read (it is different here in aussie land) i think so......you can also dig them up from your garden in you know for sure that chemicals havent been used.......the fridge will slow her body down...that is all i was thinking.....

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
from what i have read (it is different here in aussie land) i think so......you can also dig them up from your garden in you know for sure that chemicals havent been used.......the fridge will slow her body down...that is all i was thinking.....

alas, we cant really dig up this yard.

lea

Reaction score
ok no worries...try the bait shops.......hang in there....

dragonlady

Reaction score
Yes, you can find nightcrawlers at bait shops and even at Wal-Mart.

An adult axolotl not being able to swallow large pieces of food doesn't sound right. What were they trying to feed her? A pic might help to determine if something internal is going on. For example, if she was on gravel, she may be impacted and fridging would be her best bet without having a vet's advice.

Do you know what she was on before you got her? You can even try her on some wax worms, just to see if you can entice the poor thing to eat. Earthworms/nightcrawlers will be the best for her as a staple though. Lea's suggestion of chopping the earthworm may help you.

How underweight is she? Fridging her will slow her metabolism and help de-stress her, but she will not eat at all in there most likely. I don't advise to force feed her as you could damage her mouth and/or throat.

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
Yes, you can find nightcrawlers at bait shops and even at Wal-Mart.

An adult axolotl not being able to swallow large pieces of food doesn't sound right. What were they trying to feed her? A pic might help to determine if something internal is going on. For example, if she was on gravel, she may be impacted and fridging would be her best bet without having a vet's advice.

Do you know what she was on before you got her? You can even try her on some wax worms, just to see if you can entice the poor thing to eat. Earthworms/nightcrawlers will be the best for her as a staple though. Lea's suggestion of chopping the earthworm may help you.

How underweight is she? Fridging her will slow her metabolism and help de-stress her, but she will not eat at all in there most likely. I don't advise to force feed her as you could damage her mouth and/or throat.

he was trying to feed her half of a raw shrimp but she wouldnt take it. he claims she was eating blackworms from tweezers and demonstrated it to me but she didnt actually eat any. the guy had 3 other axies that were in decent condition but this one was by herself in a small shallow plastic bin. none of them were on gravel so i think an impaction is unlikely. i force fed her very gently. got the end of the eyedropper in her mouth (no real force required) and emptied the bloodworms into her mouth, not down her throat.

ill have the hubby pick up some earthworms on his way home. we generally keep the bedroom between 60-67 degrees and thats where she is now. heres a pic.

100_5227.jpg

shoegal

Reaction score
She's really cute!

I would seriously consider fridging your axie. Lower temperatures (5-15 °C) seem to be a general panacea for axolotls.

Here are detailed instructions on how to fridge an axie properly:

Axolotl Sanctuary

Last edited:

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
She's really cute!

I would highly consider fridging your axie. Lower temperatures (5-15 °C) seem to be a general panacea for axolotls.

Here are detailed instructions on how to fridge an axie properly:

Axolotl Sanctuary

thank you! ill get her in the fridge tonight. her gills are super pale today. the pic was taken yesterday. do their gills go pale as a sign of stress?

shoegal

Reaction score
Their gills go pale when they are inactive- it is not necessarily a reflection of her health. Even healthy axies get more pale when they have not been active for a certain period of time. I have an albino juvenile that looks like a ghost when she has been chilling for a while.

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
Their gills go pale when they are inactive- it is not necessarily a reflection of her health. Even healthy axies get more pale when they have not been active for a certain period of time. I have an albino juvenile that looks like a ghost when she has been chilling for a while.

that makes sense. theyre a bit pinker now. i bought some worms (my other axies enjoyed a few) so ill try to get her to eat a worm in the next couple days. ill be popping her in the fridge shortly, im just prepping everything now.

lea

Reaction score
good luck.....please keep us up to date......she will enjoy her cool holiday

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
good luck.....please keep us up to date......she will enjoy her cool holiday

i checked the fridge temp first and its 43F so i think thats just about right.
shes boxed up and chilling as we speak. i hope she will be okay. :(
should i try and feed her again tomorrow or should i abandon the food idea for a couple/few days?

theres a Dragon in my fridge!

100_5230.jpg

lea

Reaction score
you could put a worm in there with her over night she might like to eat in private BUT make sure you take it out in the morning when you do a water change.........
have a good night....keep us posted

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
i emailed Dragons previous owner to ask how long her food issues have been going on and to ask if shes even been in a tank with gravel.

he replied back with this,

"Do you think the problem may be caused by swallowed gravel? Maybe you are right. Before January all my axolotls were living for one year in 55G tank with fine gravel. First time I spotted her problem in November/ December. That's my fault.She was eating by 2-4 little pieces almost every day during 3 1/2 month(I was preparing all 4 for a breeding). Then since early April they were living outside and fed mostly by black worm 1 time in 10-14 days.Last month she spent indoor in separate container . She ate small piece of shrimp 5 - 6 days before you took her. How she's eating now?"

so yes, it does indeed seem that she may be impacted. if this has been going on since November or December, do you think Dragon will recover? is keeping her in the fridge until the blockage passes the best course of action?

lea

Reaction score
keeping her in the fridge is the best place...it will help her pass any gravel if she has swallowed it........keep up the good work......make sure you you do 100% water changes daily with water that is the same temp

Tiffanymac

Reaction score
She's really adorable! :D I love it that she is next to the pickles! :p

On a more serious note, I hope her fridging vacation helps her get everything out of her system and on the road to recovery!

harliquinnraver

Reaction score
keeping her in the fridge is the best place...it will help her pass any gravel if she has swallowed it........keep up the good work......make sure you you do 100% water changes daily with water that is the same temp

yep, i have another container of fresh water sitting in the fridge. for water changes, im just swapping her into the fresh water, dumping the old water, washing the container, refilling and dechlorinating it before putting it back into the fridge for the next day.

any idea when i should see an improvement or a bowel movement from her?

lea

Reaction score
im sure it will........i had a hard time keeping the kids out of the fridge when larry( he has since passed:() went on a fridge holiday.....they wanted to look at him all the time......it could happen over night or it could take a few days.....

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1