Quick question regarding Tigers.

shmifty5

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I've read the caresheet multiple times and I still can't find the information I'm seeking, even google isn't being much help to me.

1. what is the growth in tigers of different sub-species? like what is the growth of a A. mavortium mavortium compared to the growth of a A. mavortium diaboli or A. triginum, and then the general growth size of each species (i keep hearing that tigers can get to 13 inches long, but which sub-species? is that size rare in these animals? when do they achieve the full length? etc)

2. how do you properly diet an obese tiger? my tiger is a little chubby so i've majorly cut back his food and feedings for him, but won't he just pack on the weight after he looses it? should i be feeding or offering any special items to help him shed the pounds? (just average dieting for a tiger salamander questions)

3. how long does your average WC tiger live for in a good home? i've heard ranges from 15 years to 50 years, what should the average tiger keeping expect from his pet?

those are it, maybe the caresheet covered it and i just missed it but i can't find the info i need for my pal, so any and all help is much appreciated.

1. I am not sure if certain subspecies are larger than others. I have seen large a. tigrinum and large a. mavortium. 13 inches is the largest length known, I think. Something close to 13 inches anyways. The average tiger is 6-10 inches though. They achieve full length at around 1 year after morphing. Someone can correct me on that if I am wrong.

2. I would just reduce feeding a lot. One earthworm a week. Not one night crawler, just a normal earthworm. Your tiger will probably act like your killing it but it will be ok. Once it gets down to "normal" weight, dont feed excessively again and advoid foods like pinky mice and wax worms.

3. A tiger can live 15-30 years. I would say captivity can shorten that though with the lack of activity and never-ending amount of food. Depending on your husbandry and your tiger's health, it could live a few more months or many many more years.

Thanks for the reply AJ, it really cleared it up for me, that kind of stuff should be in the caresheet, just sayin.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back