Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Glass or Plastic

SheEpYW0lf

Reaction score
As I'm going to get a fire salamander or two, I was wondering if I really had to spend extremely many money on a tank of glass, or could I use one of the giant plastic storage boxes, I have below my bed. One of those are about twice as big as the tank I had in mind. And I've seen 3 people use them instead. And to me, it doesn't make any difference. I would actually be more happy to have more space to work with, and maybe have more animals in. They are also way cheaper. A tank costs 1000kr here, and one of those storage boxes cost 100kr.
1000kr = 1000 Danske kroner = 134,43584 Euros
100kr =
13,443584 Euros
I don't really see any downsides really. Maybe only that you can't look through the sides of it, but it's not that tall, so looking down into it, wouldn't be a problem either. The small height would also make it easier to feed them.

So what do you say? Could I use a plastic storage box instead?

dipsydoodle

Reaction score
Of course it will be fine :).

The only thing you have to be careful about with plastics or plastic tanks is that if you ever use a heat lamp (which you wouldn't be doing with the salamanders).

If you like the storage boxes then go for it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1