Heterandria formosa -- another coldwater fish worth exploring?

jclee

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
jclee
I've ordered some "dwarf livebearers" also known as "lesser killifish" online. (Here's a basic species profile: Tropical fish - Heterandria formosa - Least Killifish ). The woman I'm buying from says that the ones she's selling are a mix of WC and subsequent CB, so I plan on a nice, LONG quarantine and medical treatments as necessary. I was thinking (unless anyone knew something I didn't) that they might be right up there with white cloud minnows by way of cold-water-appropriate fish that (as long as they're healthy) won't pose a threat and can be eaten without posing any dangers.

Do you think they'd be a worthwhile species to add to the bottom of Caudata Culture Articles - Fish with Caudates ? Does anyone else keep this species in their cold water, caudate tanks?

It appears their temp requirements are quite sub-tropical, i don´t know if they would do well at all in a cooler tank.
Maybe someone else has had experience with this species and can give a better opinion.

While the care sheets I've found differ on temp, all the temp gradients they list overlap my axolotl tank's range. I'm curious to know which sites you found, mostly because I'm new to these fish and trying to read up on them as much as I can.

I have kept these fish in the past and they did quite well in my fish room at 74° F. I always considered them tropical. I know they are native to Florida and a few other South Eastern states of the U.S. but I don't know how low of a temperature they tolerate. I suspect they will do fine from the mid 60s on up. They are a very small fish and unlike many other Poeciliids they drop one or two fry every two or three days instead of a large brood all at once. Although they are not very colorful I found them quite enjoyable to work with.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back