Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is anyone else excited about the world cup?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I know people post from all over the world, so I hope to get some opinions from more than just Americans...but I am overwhelmingly excited about the world cup. It will consume my life for the next month.

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
As a matter of fact. I won't come to work tomorrow because I want to watch the inaugural ceremony as well as the match between Mexico and South Africa.:D

Shizeric

Reaction score
I work at a school, and my entire day will be spent just watching the games on the projector, ignoring whatever lesson plan I am supposed to be using.

lea

Reaction score
our house has turned green and gold......i went to get into my car and there are 2 socceroo flags hanging off it....our 1st game is monday morning at 430am....it is going to be a very exciting 41 days....
...........GO SOCCEROOS.......

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Yea, my girlfriend has been wondering why I have been so nice to her doing cleaning and cooking......it is because she is not going to see me for a month...bring on saturday

England vs the USA I have dubbed the game 'friendly fire'

Good luck everyone my Axolotl are supporting mexico

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Please don´t lynch me, but i absolutely despise football xDD
While you people are open-mouthed, eyes like plates and in more tension than Pamela Anderson´s bra, i´m wondering why the heck the whole country must be submitted to the torture of yet another football cup...when...oh when will someone win the blasted football once and for all!!!

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For a non-football fan I normally get into the world cup. I have my game planner, dedicated beer/worms fridge and HD channels at the ready. If we (England) beat the USA tomorrow we'll hopefully sail through to the last 16. We'll then crash out of the tournament, somewhere before the final. It's always best to be prepared for massive disappointment when supporting England. Being half Dutch I'll be cheering on Holland too.

Surprising to see a US member post about the world cup. I didn't know (real) football was popular in the US. You guys tend to stick to your own sports.

Azhael - Spain are the favourites so football fever is going to be hard to avoid :D

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Tell me about it....the whole friking country is going to be boiling with shouting fans. Everytime my neighbours yell i intend to give them a round of very loud heavy metal (by the sound of it they seem to enjoy rubbish pop)

Anyway, excuse my blind hatred :p Enjoy the kicking, the shouting and the goal scoring thingy!!

Shizeric

Reaction score
Surprising to see a US member post about the world cup. I didn't know (real) football was popular in the US. You guys tend to stick to your own sports.

I like most sports, but soccer during the large tournaments is up there with my favorites. I like HOlland as well, but of course I will rooting for the US.

Nothing "friendly" about tomorrow's game between the US and England.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I am dreading the football, I resent how much it takes over my life. My older boys and husband love the game ( I have one son playing for Tottenham goal keepers academy) .I expect every thing will be on hold 'till the evil game is over. It annoys me that so many people are now suddenly so proud to display their flag for this event..and just to gall me further my neighbours have put up a huge flag between our gardens. :eek:. My heart sank further when I saw it goes on for a month...I have been in so much denial I had hoped it may be only on for a week. I feel a full dose of the miseries coming on.:uhoh:

tomkeogh

Reaction score
World Cup. Is that where they play that game with the round spotted ball for 90 minutes and then the score is like 1 to zero or something? ;)

The ball has not been spotted since the NFL used pig skin! I struggle to understand why American's in general do not like 'soccer' it combines aspects of all your sports, The positional tactics used in American football is much the same, the fluidity and adrenaline of basket ball, the mentality of hockey and soccer fans and culture is similar, and you sit down bored for a couple hours drinking beer like baseball.

If there are any Americans who have never given soccer a chance no is the time. the best players in the world are on show, if you can catch a Brazil, Spain or Holland match you will have a great chance of seeing the beautiful game as it was intended to entertain.

Please do not watch USA vs England it is going to be a boring match.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
I struggle to understand why American's in general do not like 'soccer'

Well... It's big in schools.... it was big for awhile in the 70's (I still have a Rodney Marsh Jersey from the "Rowdies"). But like baseball and Golf... Most Americans find it boring. Maybe because they've never given it a chance. Like Golf and Baseball.... It's fun to play but hell to watch. Lot's of pickup lines but not much gettin' the girl. :D

Please do not watch USA vs England it is going to be a boring match.

I won't. Besides... if the USA wins it'll freak you out. The Americans on our team take that game seriously. I predict a high scoring game... maybe a 1-1 draw. :eek:

tomkeogh

Reaction score
It will be a tense game we are not playing too great right now but hopefully the US team is not quiet good enough to take advantage!

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I am like Mark, not a big fan until the World Cup comes.

Hey Rodrigo, Spain may end up at the finals!

Infinitii

Reaction score
Watch a bit of footie now and then but never miss the World Cup. Even if we're not going to win gotta cheer England on to the bitter end. Got a bit of German blood in me not too far back so I always root for them too.

Shizeric

Reaction score
The ball has not been spotted since the NFL used pig skin!

It's sort of spotted this year. (If you count large spots).

2010-world-cup-balls.JPG

Slimy2

Reaction score
I can't believe the English goalkeeper made such a poor mistake losing the ball and I hope the US goalkeeper is okay since his injury. This is an exciting game!

Alejandro

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
I agree with Cameron, poor English goalkeeper!:(
The match between The Netherlands and Denmark promises to be a good one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1