Thinking of putting shrimp in the tank, advice?

mkw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

I've ready about people putting shrimp in the tank for cleaning purposes and generally just to have something else in there!

Im after advice on what would be the best variety to put in, and the least likely to be eaten on day 1.

Cheers

Anything is going to be a food source if placed in with Axolotls. Blue Pearl Shrimp or Red Cherry Shrimp may last a while, but also are sources of snacks for Axolotls.

Yeah, i understand that i just didn't want to buy some and have them gone in a couple of hours. Would just be a bit annoying! lol

Well, it's all up to the Axolotls to determine how long their house guests survive.

It typically takes mine 1 week or so to whittle 24 down to about 5.
I use Glass/Ghost Shrimp (Palaemonetes paludosus) because around here they are 12 for $1.00 US.
They are fun to watch. But they will be eaten eventually. :(

I got 3 yamato shrimp bout 3 months ago and have 2 left! I have so many places the shrimp can hide they really do become invisible i always think they have been eaten but they always turn up again they are very fast but also very brave little things they will get very close to the axie. I have seen so many near misses but those shrimp are just too damn fast and too good at hiding for him to get them!

Oooh caught this the other day I saw what i thought was a dead mealworm climbing up a rock i couldnt belive it, i looked closer and it was bernard the shrimp stealing gomez's food!
ted22-albums-gomez-s-new-tank-setup-picture10624-sneaky-shrimp-stealing-gomezs-food.jpg

If you get lots of small hidey places i'm sure they'd last longer.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back