Question: Clean tadpoles

Aaron71w

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was just wondering if you could fresh tadpoles from their eggs for a snack for the axolotl not wild ones but fresh, would they still cause harm or not.

I don't see why not. tadpoles would be great nutrition. there shouldn't be any problems with fresh tadpoles. some people get squirmish when feeding amphibians to amphibians.. but they eat each other in the wild.... so no worries. :eek:

Hi,

I wouldn´t do that, because tadpoles includes a high concentration of thyroxins to go through metamorphosis.

tina

ahhh yes I didn't think of that...glad you did!

Tadpoles are cute. I call my Kahlua a giant tadpole because you usually can't see his legs tehe and he just looks like a giant tadpole. I agree most are better than people hehe

Hi,

I wouldn´t do that, because tadpoles includes a high concentration of thyroxins to go through metamorphosis.

so what would happen if i fed them to my axolotl would that harm them in anyway

Hi Aaron,

yes, it could harm your axies. They could start morphing, but cannot bring it to the end - so, they could die.

Tina

what i have heard is that it cannot cause metamorphosis but im not to sure but i have heard it will not cause metamorphosis

I've fed thousands of tadpoles to my axolotls, heck there are a few members on here who have fed tadpoles to their axies for over a decade, and have yet to have one morph. The only real risk I ever see with tadpoles are parasites but since you're using tads hatched from eggs I don't see this as a problem either.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back