Fire salamander skin help

salamandersrock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey, my fire salamander has a discolouration on his sides, where his black strip go blotchy and have turned from black to yellow, i never thought anything of it until i looked at all the photos of firesalamanders on this website. i would post a picture but i don't have a camara that sends pictures to the computer. thanks if you can help give some sort of diagnosis. i'm not a very well off student and i don't particulary want to go to the vet and pay £60 for a check up if there is nothinbg wrong with him.

i've had a look on google and here etc but i can't seem to find anything simular. however, i did read that spagmoss is acidicy so do you this that could of faded his colour?

Faded colors might be a sign of infection.
Without a picture, it´s just a guess......

if the discoloration is on both sides of his body it may indicate a dietary problem or a simple genetic quirk, you must remember that not all animals are going to be the same colors in the same places.

for example, my blotched tiger looks like your average blotched except for the fact that his tail is bright lemon yellow (still blotched markings, just yellow instead of greyish olive).

how long has the colors been changing? when was the animal acquired? what has he been fed? what kind of conditions are his tank in? these are very important questions when dealing with a possible infection.

monitor your little guy closely and if you notice any 'bruising' or 'bleeding' or if your sal starts acting sick, get him to the vet or prepare to watch your animal being eaten alive.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back