How to not feed Axolotls?

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
A. Macxicanum
Every time I come up to the tank they crowd the glass, get very excited, swim back and forth and beg for food.
I don't want them too fat... but they appear to be starving!

That is what axolotl do..they love food.:rofl: You need to be strong here and not give into their begging.

They sound just like my cats. Fed twice a day with high quality food and they are always crowding around when I am preparing my own dinner, the little tubbies. Hard to resist! Our axie enjoys 2 meals a day too, she has a nice round belly :). I guess, just get a routine and stick to it, then you will know they are crowding the glass cos they love you :D

That's what happened to me when my tort. was a hatchling! I fed once a day. But after looking at her face and watery eyes, I had to give more, until I read that overweight can KILL the little one. I had to be strong. The trick is DON'T look them in the eyes.:D

Artie begs, right at eh spot of the tank where I drop his pellets in. He's almost always right there, looking up, while Max hides behind her log. Meanwhile, since he monopolizes the feeding area, he's getting quite pudgy. I always make sure Max gets enough, but sometimes that means Artie gets a little extra. I'm telling you, he is one pot-bellied little salamander.
:p

Haha feelin ya! I thought my little guy was looking abit podge and I just got informed by a helpful comment that he looks abit pudgy, so hopefully someone can come up with some excellent axolotl weight loss diets and fitness programs to get them abit slimmer! How about aqua-aerobics for the little guys? Im not giving up untill chubby Gomez has a body like the Hoff!

It's so easy to let them get pudgy...so much fun to watch them eat!

@Ted22 - Hoff now or Hoff then...lol

Yeah... my "Wild One" Brando come up to the side of the tank and sites there waiting with his front legs off the substrate. He also follows my hand/arm/Turkey Baster/whatever when ever It's in there. He swims over eats right out of my hand. :D

Caudates are just like that...opportunists, always interested in another bite, even when they are full.

Some of my animals actually try to bite the glass everytime i pass near the tank. My T.dobrogicus larvae go absolutely mental with just the move of a finger xD

If you are feeding them a good diet and they don´t look thin, don´t worry, you are feeding them just right. Just be strong and resist their begging faces.

Yes... I know. I feed myself too much also. The little goobers are getting adept at catching the Ghost Shrimp too. Used to just be entertainment for them between feedings... But my population has dropped quite a bit. :D

Im sure its possible to train axies to burn some energy doing some performance antics and tricks to get their food. I have done a lot of dog training, cant wait for my axies to arrive so that I can get to work with them! I need to tune them into a 'well done' marker - dont think they will hear a clicker! Was thinking of using the light (switching it on and off) but that could get confusing when I want to actually have the light on properly. Can they distinguish colour do we know? What is their eyesight like?

Do let us know if the training actually works. A clicker would probably work if you held it under the waterline. They also seem to pick up on movement very quickly, so you could try moving your hand underwater instead.
:p

I might try placing the palm of my hand up against the glass in a flash - they can hopefully see it and also the movement will make it more noticeable. Not as good as a sound if they are doing tricky acrobatics though!

let us know how the tricks go (Henrix also eats live worms out of my hand I make him swim over to me then I feed him)

i always chop up the earthworms but are they able to suck in and digest full sized worms?

i always chop up the earthworms but are they able to suck in and digest full sized worms?

Yes, well all of mine can swallow worms upto about 3-4 inches, I still chop worms in half though, not sure why

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back