Photo: This is very weird....

Platterpus

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Brendan & Kerri
This is very weird…
Last Monday (7th June) I had the thrill of observing one of our olive-brown wild-type axolotls laying a clutch of nearly 400 eggs. She began around 11am and continued laying all day and into the night, carefully attaching each egg to plants, logs and filter. She paused mid-afternoon (exhausted?) and ate several of the freshest eggs, before continuing diligently. I was slightly confused, however, because every egg she laid was pure white - initially suggesting to me that they were infertile (?) – yet I have never heard of an axie actually laying without being fertilized! It would be no surprise to see a small percentage of infertile eggs in a fertile batch – but all 400?!? The oddness of this occurrence compelled me to keep the eggs. On the 4th day, the embryos began to develop!
So begins a series of related questions I am unable to answer…
1) The only male in this tank is leucistic. Even if both parents carry a recessive albino gene (A/a), the average combination could only yield 25% albinos – not 100%. Am I correct?
2) Why did she lay all white eggs? She is mustardy-brown and speckled - definitely NOT albino!
3) Will the babies be all albinos – and if so, why?
4) If not – will pigments develop as the embryos grow? Anyone care to guess what colours?

This seriously undermines the assertion that only albinos (a/a) lay white eggs – I saw it with my own eyes! - and have the photographs to prove it!
Pic#1: Laying – the rear legs carefully positioning the eggs.
Pic#2: A white egg emerging from the cloaca.
Pic#3: A field of white eggs, 24hours old.
Pic#4: Day 4 - the embryos are beginning to change shape.
Pic#5: Tail-budding – Day 5
Pic#6: Twins! Two embryos in a single egg – Day 5
Pic#7: Heads starting to form – Day 6
Pic#8: The proud but bewildered parents :confused:

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    358.6 KB · Views: 289
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 268
  • Pic3.jpg
    Pic3.jpg
    362.4 KB · Views: 393
  • Pic4.jpg
    Pic4.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 334
  • Pic5.jpg
    Pic5.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 556
  • Pic6.jpg
    Pic6.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 331
  • Pic7.jpg
    Pic7.jpg
    392.3 KB · Views: 776
  • Pic8.jpg
    Pic8.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 525
Well if this helps, my golden albino laid white eggs, her partner was a wild type . The majority of her larva where wild type ( which looked very pale as they grew), then melanoid then golden and possibly a few leucistic ( these came to a dreadful end :()

Well if this helps, my golden albino laid white eggs, her partner was a wild type .

That is totally normal - all albinos, including goldens and tans, lay white eggs - regardless of what colour the male is.
Our confusion is that a NON-albino has laid our white eggs...

That´s simply - your axie isn´t a wild type. It´s a copper axolotl and they will lay white eggs.;)

The color of the eggs has nothing to do with the color of the larvae but what type the mother is.

Tina

Hi Tina!
Thanks for clarifying. Does that mean all shades of brown axolotls are classified as copper? We have 4 different brown ones: a real tan colour, a copper colour (has yellow tone), this one which has a distinct olive/mustard colour and a darker brown. The photos of her laying eggs do not show her true colour, I have attached a better pic of her.

Attachments

• SDC12944.jpg
    SDC12944.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 680
Hi Aaron,

no, the most are wild. Only the light brown (sand colored with brown marks) could be copper.

Tina

Hi Tina, who is Aaron? haha

Hmmm...I not sure this one is copper then. She has an olive tone, not sand. The colour you are describing sounds like our actual copper one.

Hi Tina, who is Aaron? haha

Hmmm...I not sure this one is copper then. She has an olive tone, not sand. The colour you are describing sounds like our actual copper one.

Aargh...I´ve been in the wrong thread :rofl:

To me the color of the egg laying female looks like copper.
If you mean she isn´t copper but wild, how would you explain the white eggs? :confused:

edit: Do you know her parents? Maybe she´s a hybrid (mixture between wild and copper)? The genetics of the copper axolotl isn´t explored, yet.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your comments, I'm sure you must be right that she is technically a copper axolotl - that's the only reasonable explanation for the white eggs and makes a lot of sense to us now. We do not know her background, and yes, she could be a hybrid. Her actual colour in real life does not look anything like what we would call "copper". We do know the history of the father, as we have both of his parents. Hopefully we get a lot of colour combinations in this batch!

Do you want to raise some larvae? That would be very interesting, I think and .......please don´t forget to post some pics of their development.:D

Hi Tina,
Yes we intend to raise them. We had a successful batch last time of about 100. :D

congrats....i love the colour of mum....i have never seen that colour axie in brisbane.....the only colours i have seen up here is black, brown, white and yellow.......i would love to get one that colour:D.....keep us up dated with pictures as they grow please
lea

This is the interesting thing about genetics. Our usual perceptions of genetic transfer is rudimentary, at best, and there are lots of variables that we don't know about or can't take into account just by "eye-balling" our animals (hence the extended conversation about what color the mother actually might be considered). I don't have experience with raising axolotls yet (I'm still growing my first generation from eggs shipped to me by two very generous members of this site) but I do have a similar curious experience with fish. I had a pair of Convict Cichlids - a normal black male and a pink female. The odds here would suggest that 25% of the offspring would be pink and the rest black but this pair consistently raised spawns that were at least 50% pink. Interesting, don't you think?

Hi Dick,
You're absolutely right about the genetics being both fascinating and sometimes perplexing - I'm certain that Tina knows what she is talking about so I'd hate to upset her theory by disclosing that we have another one of this females' siblings who has dark chocolate brown skin with even darker spots! Definately not normally described as "copper" ! Though I'd almost wager that both their gene-maps are very similar... he's a chocolate copper-type except with melanoid-type eyes? (no iridiphore rings). However, if he's a melanoid, shouldn't he be black? The plot thickens...
Anyways - enough confusion!!!
Welcome to the world of axolotls, Dick - I hope you have great success raising your eggs - please keep us updated of their progress. Do you know about the parents of your eggs, or is it gonna be a big surprise when they hatch? Good luck!

Please do post pics of their development! Im extremely intrigued now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back