Treatment needed for shedding skin?

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
Hello, one of my axolotl seems to be shedding skin a little on her underside. after reading a few previous it seems heat stress may be the cause, on Monday and Tuesday of last week tank hit 24degree. I managed to get it back down and is now 18degree maximum 19degree.

Water levels are perfect I am however expecting a small ammonia spike soon as I just changed substrate, which is much finer and softer sand than they were in before so I assume this is not the problem.

I was advised by Mel to tea bath her, but she has realised I am trying to coax her out of the tank so she is hiding now.

Sorry is impossible to take pictures right now, but in your opinions will she be fine without special treatment?

How did you manage to get it from 24 to 18? That's a pretty substantial drop.

If the weather over here at the minute is anything to go by the drop is probably down to a general drop in temperature. I've been putting dechlorinated ice in my newt tank last week to try and combat the mini heat spike.

Sorry I cant be much help tomkeogh. My knowledge is too limited. Hope she recovers quickly. :)

Yea temperature just dropped naturally and it took a couple says

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back