Question: New tank with used filter, substrate and ornaments cycling question?

ted22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Ed
Hello all, found a good source for larger fish tanks 3ft starting at £50 and 4ft starting at £60 depending on the other dimensions (only £5 delivery and free delivery on orders over £50!) it seems too good to be true! and was wondering how long it would be until it is safe for little Gomez if I just transferred the substrate, ornaments, filter and water from my existing tank as space is very tight for two tanks in my tiny flat! Or would I be better off putting up with the cramped conditions and just cycling as usual just using abit of used filter sponge to get it all going and move gomez a few weeks later? Its still gonna be another few weeks though, bring on payday!

Cant wait to give him a bit more space so he can swim about more, he's gotta burn off a little bit of squidge and 2ft just isnt enough to get some serious laps in! haha fatty!

you can cycle the new tank with gomez in it you just have to watch the water parameters and do water changes.....some good bacteria will be transferred with the stuff from the old tank..he is going to love his new home

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back