Question: Bad smell

heidisue

Reaction score
Country
England
hi,im new on here.
i bought 4 axolotls last week from the pet shop,they wasnt being looked after properly and i felt sorry for them.i didnt want that many but couldnt leave them there.
i have been cleaning them out every other day and have today put a small pump in to circulate the water hoping the water would be ok for maybe a day longer.
but i now have a really bad smell coming from it and my house stinks like they badly need cleaning out.
it was only cleaned this morning and there wasnt this smell till i put this in(unless it did need cleaning).
please if someone could help i would be very greatfull:D

What size is the tank? And what kind of substrate do you use? A picture would help diagnose your issue.

When you say pump do you mean a filter or an air pump? because you need a filter in the tank at all times. Did you de-chlorinate the water etc? and if you have not been using a pump have they been in the same water since you got them?

ive been cleaning them out every other day.
how do you de chlorinate the water?
its an air pump ive put in

So you are keeping them in a tub with daily water change? is the water straight from the tap? how large is the tub? and are they all together?

If you are using water straight from the tap you have to de-chlorinate either by leaving to stand for a few days or using a tap water conditioner, you have to do this if your tap water has chloramines.

Can you also provide the following information.
How large are they? what temperature is water? and what are you feeding?

Yo you have quite a task on your hands with 4 axies you gotta be spot cleaning daily or twice daily as they are messy buggers! how big is ur tank? your gonna need at least a 4ft tank for 4 axies! and daily 20% water changes while your tank is cycling or ammonia build up (the bad smell) will happen quick especially with 4 axies! seeing as the smell is that bad you may need to change 15-20% of water twice a day any more than 20-30% at a time could slow down the whole process! as the others said use de-chlorinated tap water and get a substantial filter also do not place gravel or small stones in the tank or they will end up in your axolotl!

Last edited:
sorry for being so slow replying,still getting used to this lol
im using water straight from the tap but not changing all the water,ive been keeping about half of the original water
i would say theyre about 6 or 7 inch approx and 1 is smaller
i have been feeding them blood worm,a little mince meat and garden worms
yeh big tub and keep cleaning them out

Straight tapwater = bad for axies, you may be all right though you know what to do next time! Avoid the mince meat too if i was you worms would be much better!

sorry not sure on the temprature at the moment,would have to check
i have just a few small rocks on the bottom,too big for to fit in their mouths,other than that nothing on the bottom

Well you NEED to de-chlorinate I can not stress that enough and if you are keeping them all together it is best to change 100%

Can you please make the effort to answer every question, we would not ask if it was not important, do you know the water temperature? and can you be more specific on the tub size? to house 4 7inch Axolotl it needs to be at the very very least 3 foot long. when you clean out the tub are you using soap or anything? how are you removing waste? and how much bloodworm are you feeding?

are you not to feed them mince?
that petshop didnt have a clue,he said some raw mince would be ok for them
luckily theyve only had that once

My tank got abit smelly when it got warm the other week thinking about it, try blowing a fan across the water to get abit of air circulating it may help!

Mince meat is ok every now and again.

Can you please answer the questions.
How large is the tank?
Temperature?
And how much are you feeding?
How are you removing waste

6 cubes of bloodworm,they maybe smaller than ive stated that was only approx
if they are hungry and eat all them i put more in till i know theyve had enough
i dont have a thing to take the temp,im getting one tomorrow as this was the earliest the petshop could get me 1

It has been asked several times and is continuously ignored...how large is their tank?

As eric says it is hugely important we know tank size, it does not matter if you have a small tub, people make mistakes but knowing will help us to help you. and you need to know temperature.

You also have to think about housing them perminantly in either a 4 foot tank or two 3 foot tanks, or 4 2 foot tanks!

it is too small the tank,i didnt want any1 shouting at me
would any1 like to have them?im not bothered about the money ive spent on them, i just needed to get them out of that petshop
i am in the uk,manchester if any1 can collect

i WASNT ignoring the question i just didnt know the size of it

So, are you now trying to rehouse them? I'm not sure what's going on. About how big is the container? And if you just had to get them out of the pet shop..all you have done is taken them from one poor environment to another. With a little work and research, you could probably provide a suitable home for them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back