Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fattening blackworms/increasing reproduction

merk199

Reaction score
I currently keep 1/2lb of blackworms max in shoeboxes. I have the room to keep 3-4 shoeboxes full in my fridge. Any tips on increasing the reproduction rate? I rinse with greenwater minimum once a week, and cover them with greenwater. Die off is minimal. This group of worms is from around December so they are certainly surviving. I am thinking my reproduction is on par, but now I need to fatten them. Any tips on how to fatten them. Will fish food help that much. My guys love the blackworms but I am not going to feed them for 3-4 weeks. Just to give my blackworms a rest.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Substrate, air, and temperature. They will only reproduce at around 70F in well aerated water with a muddy silt substrate. Water should be at least 5 inches deep and loaded with infrusoria. Throw in some decaying plant matter. If the worms hang out near the surface you need more aeration. Reproduction tales 6 to 8 weeks. You will see an initial off of the starter culture. It took me roughly six months to get a stable culture that proxies. I use a kiddie pool and an aeration unit built from an airbrush compressor. In hindsight it is cheaper and easier to buy them. I am able to harvest rouhgly a pound every month, but it is a messy and consuming process.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep, I just buy them. If you are able to keep them alive for months, this means you don't have to buy them very often, so the yearly cost won't be that much.

mduros

Reaction score
When I harvested my own blackworms I just had them in a 5 gallon tank in about 5 inches of water with bubble filter in my bedroom. I'd throw in some fish flakes every now and then. The colony went strong until I was forced to take the tank down due to electric issues.

Currently my oregon newt tank has colonies growing in it. I throw some fresh ones in occasionally but my newt just loves to hunt for them and refuses to let me "feed" her anymore. When I clean the substrate I throw the dregs and blackworms into my tropical fish as a treat. :)
Take care,
Mary.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!