Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Help and advice needed URGENT!

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I have always been told talking to yourself is the first sign of madness.

How far along am I if I can hold down a quiet long conversation with an Axolotl about my day at work? which is silly when I think about it because all they ever say is 'were is my dinner?'

melfly

Reaction score
Welcome to madness-olotl. This is what happens to all axolotl keepers at some point.
We rarely tell new people about this in case it puts them off.

You now have ALL the signs, tons of pics, another axolotl (to feed the addiction), and now you have conversations with them! I'm proud you have made it to this stage...lol

Mel

tomkeogh

Reaction score
I have been very tempted to dress them up in little England kits, they all line up at the edge of the glass to watch the football it is so funny.... we are all routing for there native Mexico tonight...I am trying to teach them the mexican wave although at the minute it is just me who has got it!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Be careful of what you say to your salamander. In "War With The Newts" by Karl Capek what started out as innocent conversations with a salamander turned into educating salamanders and world war between the salamanders and the humans.

daremo

Reaction score
have you read cortazar's "axolotl" , highly recommended!!!

;)

they DO understand!

tomkeogh

Reaction score
It is okay I only talk about work and I work in a Factory so all they will learn are offensive jokes and how to make a woman as uncomfortable as possible by shouting out the window of a Ford transit!

I have just read the Synopsis of that book..I hope I can find a copy at the library or on Amazon it sounds amazing, it also sounds like it could push me over the edge though.

Why is there such a paranoia within Humans about intelligent reptile type beings?

Thank you also Daremo sound's like a good read...I have not read much lately I get too wrapped up in a good story I had to give up as the last book I read was by Andy Mcnabb I started ducking for cover at the train station...

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1