My newt is getting stressed for no reason? Help!

Zac

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
My newt is getting stressed for no reason. He is not going in the water, but climbing the sides of the tank, while he still has a great amount of land? I'm not sure if it's because he's hungry or what (because I have skipt a day from feeding). I'm going to feed him straight after this, but what is happening?

I just changed his water yesterday and even straight after that he was sitting at the bottom of the water. Temperatures are fine, water is as clean as a whistle (However you spell that ;), everything is in tip top order.

He is definitely not a juvenile at around 4.8-5 cm. Even his skin appears slightly smooth.

Help!!

More oftne than not, this behaviour is sign of a problem with water quality. Skipping feeding for one day will not have that effect. Do you have a testing kit? Or a aquarium shop near buy that can test the water for you?

You said you did a water change, did you do a partial water change or a full water change? What kind of water do you use, treated water, aged water?

We need to know a bit more to answer you question. Hope your newt is OK.

Also it may help to know what kind of newt you have and how long you've had him?

I don't have a testing kit, I did a full water change, I used a water de-chlorinater, he is a Cynops Orientalis.

Complete water changes are shocking for newts. Next time you do a water change only replace 20% of the water, so the change isn't drastic and the newt won't be stressed because of the hard new water.

If you don't have one already try getting an aquarium pH conditioner that adjusts pH to a neutral 7.0. A neutral regulator conditions hard water and also removes any chlorine or chloramines found in tap water, to make the water more comfortable for your aquatic newt. Some even remove ammonia which is great.

How much water are you keeping him/her in? A picture of the set-up would be nice, if possible. Cycling your tank is highly recommended and will ensure a happy aquatic newt! Larger bodies of water are more stable and beneficial when cycling a tank. Heres a link to help you cycle your tank.

Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling

I just went through the whole cycling experience not too long ago and it can be confusing at times! So if you have any questions just ask and we'll be here to help you out! Hope this helps! :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back