Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Plec

harry7890

Reaction score
Could i keep a large pleco in the tank with my axolotls to eat the alge , or would they eat it

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
NO there are lots of horror stories of Axolotls being injured or dying from trying to swallow plecos. Do not mix plecos with Axolotls.

ted22

Reaction score
Dude I thought you were gonna do abit of reseach! even a swift browse of a few pages would be enough for you to know that is a bad idea! If anything as an algea eater use shrimp but i wouldnt rate their chances with 2 big axies, if you have an algea problem you are not cleaning your tank enough also you only got the tank a week ago what you worried about algea for?

well done for asking first tho as you have avoided another mistake but please have a read dude theres a hell of alot of info out there thats easy to google up as there are a few suitable tank mates but they are usually considered as food. also we have told you about the small tank do you really think you have the space for a plec? you dont even have enough space for the guys you already have!

sorry dude I just feel that its a silly idea to even contemplate in the first place!

ted22

Reaction score
Man im sorry if that post was abit harsh ive been trying to delete it coz I feel bad but I cant get the edit box to work to delete it!

You were right to ask I just thought that you would have come accross these issues and the potential dangers with some general research, then again when I research something I do go abit overboard so you may not have delved that deep yet!

Sorry dude i keep forgetting to take your age into account.

all the answers you need are on this forum!

Last edited:

battlecat

Reaction score
I've had Plecos in my tank (they were there before I had Axolotls) And well before there was so much knowledge available. I also had crayfish. But I also kept my tank well stocked with feeders, and fed my Axie's earthworms. The crayfish will defend themselves, so one of my boys got a pincher on the snout, but they never touched the Plecos.

I threw in some other types of decorative fish once, but they were just meals in waiting.

I would just keep a sponge on a stick handy to wipe down the insides on the tank every few days.

harry7890

Reaction score
I've had Plecos in my tank (they were there before I had Axolotls) And well before there was so much knowledge available. I also had crayfish. But I also kept my tank well stocked with feeders, and fed my Axie's earthworms. The crayfish will defend themselves, so one of my boys got a pincher on the snout, but they never touched the Plecos.

I threw in some other types of decorative fish once, but they were just meals in waiting.

I would just keep a sponge on a stick handy to wipe down the insides on the tank every few days.

Yea I do do.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!