Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Other Inmates?

WestTP94

Reaction score
Hello All.

Bit of an enquiry.
I gather Axolotls are fresh water animals (i hope so as Aristotle seems fine).
I have seen some goldfish at my local store and want to know as they tend to be top feeders compared to my axolotls bottom feeding temperaments would it be okay to keep them in the same tank?
I know the risks of eating each other but goldfish are fairly soft animals and my axie rarely if at all goes to the surface of the tank.

Thanks
Tom

Blaze

Reaction score
The usual problem is that goldfish are really filthy animals and will dirty your tank REALLY fast. Also they may pick at your axolotls lovely gills.

I would really go against getting the goldfish. Go with some guppies or white cloud minnows.

ted22

Reaction score
My guppys eat most things. They´ll eat bloodworms if chopped up small enough, Remember to quarantine them for at least 30days you don´t want your axie catching anything nasty! But i warn you, they will get eaten! I´d say set up a small guppy breeding tank (breeding guppys is easy and happens soo quick so you'll have a ready supply of axie snacks) and just chuck a few in for your axie every now and then! Anything that´s safe to put in an axie tank will usually be considered as food but you may have a few lucky ones! Freshwater shrimp are also acceptable tank mates they are funny little things and they´re so quick they last quite well if there are enough plants and hiding places for them to hide from a hungry axie! But inevitably they will get eaten!

I think guppys (and other suitable feeders) (not goldfish) are quite good as they are a source of calcium (in thier bones) that axies otherwise wouldn´t get!

Just remember to quarantine anything first!

Last edited:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Huge NO to goldfish, really. You can read about it here:
Caudata Culture Articles - Fish with Caudates

Dry bloodworms are a very poor choice for food. Try frozen ones, they are much better. Still not good enough for an staple (you will need earthworms for that) but good. The freeze-dried ones are pretty much rubbish....

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1