Question: LED Lights?

Snailbait

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
April
Okay, I have a few ideas about how I would like to set up my new axolotl tank, but have to decide on a few things. I have a 4ft tank and plan to have one axolotl to start with, and may decide later to add to that. I want a tank that looks good and keeps my axolotl happy at the same time. :cool:

So, I came across these LED lights on eBay. They are coloured (blue, red, yellow, green etc) and suction to the top of the tank. They look awesome, but would they cause an axolotl distress? I'd like to have a colour scheme for my tank, with red, orange and purple, and would love the red light, or yellow if red would cause problems. I don't want live plants in my tank, and the tank will be in a fairly dark corner. Does anyone know if red light would harm axolotls? Or would another colour be suitable? I will have a heap of hidey holes and what not, but I don't want to force the axolotl to hide all the time either. Thoughts?

Here is the red light:
k1pdfk.jpg

And a tank with the blue light:

Thank you in advance!

I've also found some other colours like orange and purple which seem a bit softer, would they be better than red?

Axolotls like it dark. They would prefer no light at all. If you have tank lighting due to live plants or the like, you MUST provide lots of hides/ plant cover for them or yes, the lights will cause stress over time leading to poor health. Sadly, LED lighting will not support live plants very well. The good news is you will see more of your pets due to the low lighting.

The advantage to LED lighting is that it is not very bright. This is good for your axolotls. I now currently use LED lighting for critter room (that is, the room itself is LED lit) and highly suggest you go with white or blue LEDs if you feel you need lighting. These colors are the least intense (read as bright) of the LEDs commonly available. Red is OK, but unless you need to protect your night vision, it is not very useful for aquatic caudate viewing in my opinion.

My axolotl doesn't like light eather.. but i got a vulcano with a led light that produces bubbles and my axolotl doesn't mind, she sometimes snaps at the bubbels thats all :)

Okay, thanks for the tips guys! Since I don't want any live plants anyway I think I will go with the soft orange LED or something similar. The light won't be on most of the time anyway and there's plenty of hiding places, so all should be fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back