Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Allowing them to mingle?

markfarley

Reaction score
Hi all,

We just got our set up complete and brought home two juvenile Axolotls (2 inches). The shop recommended keeping them separate (tank divider) for while because they were munching on each other - I was wondering - how do we know when they are able to be together?

Thanks

Mark

jclee

Reaction score
Some of that depends on how many hides they have, how well fed they are, and how old they are. They do go through a nippy phase at around that size, and they can hurt each other, so watch them closely. The divider's probably not a bad idea. If it were me, I would watch closely and separate the first time I saw aggression that concerned me.

I'm raising three juvies that are around that size, and they haven't really done each other any damage (yet). They'll lunge at each other when it's feeding time, but I haven't seen any missing limbs or gills (yet).

callina

Reaction score
if both are the same size, I don´t see a problem for keeping them together. If you are feeding them well and they have enough space in their tank, you don´t need to separate them.

markfarley

Reaction score
Thanks guys. We'll try some monitored experiments with them together. One is growing a bit more rapidly than the other, but they aren't that different. Thanks for the help!

esoteric

Reaction score
I've noticed some things about my baby axolotls.

1.Wild types grow faster than golden albinos.
2.Wild types are more aggressive than golden albinos.
3.Wild types are more aggressive with golden albinos than other wild types.

melfly

Reaction score
You know Ron I had two baby wilds that were really aggressive, but Freddie was the most aggressive axolotl i have ever met. She's a golden albino and she is angry! lol
She used to pick on my wild constantly.
I think with some of them its a personality thing.

Mel

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!