Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Preparing To Own An Axolotl

Sean1364

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Sean, I'm 23, and I'm a Paramedic in Michigan. I'm obviously new to the site. I found multiple links to this website when doing research on Axolotls. I've read novels of information on the little guys, and I finally feel ready to take on the responsibility of owning one. In preparation, I've purchased a 40 gallon tank, an appropriate power filter, sand and gravel (large enough not to be eaten), some plants, a log for them to hide under, and plenty of Brineshrimp. I've calculated and maintained the water temperature, tested the pH, dechlorinated the water, and run the filter for two days. I've purchased the cleaning supplies, and ensured the tank has no leaks. As soon as the sand settles, I think it's time to go for it. I look forward to becoming part of the Axolotl owning community (as soon as I get 5 posts down and purchase one.)

jclee

Reaction score
Sounds like you're good to go! I would recommend cycling the tank before getting the axolotls, just to make the move a little easier on them.

Keep us posted when you get them!

Sean1364

Reaction score
Sounds like you're good to go! I would recommend cycling the tank before getting the axolotls, just to make the move a little easier on them.

Keep us posted when you get them!

Thanks for posting.

What do you mean by cycling it?

Sean1364

Reaction score
Ok, follow-up question. Is cycling necessary as long as proper cleaning methods are taken, such as constant filtering (especially before) and changing out the water regularly?

jclee

Reaction score
Some people let the tank cycle while there are animals in it. This requires very close monitoring of water parameters, and daily water changes, and it does stress the animals in the tank. Sometimes this can't be avoided, though. (If you google for cycling with fish, you should be able to find loads of articles.)

Cycling is just the nitrogen cycle that happens in water as beneficial bacteria build up with time, and once they are present, they break down ammonia and nitrite that are toxic and turn them into nitrate.

If you know anyone with an established fishtank already, you can hit them up for a used filter (keep it wet) and add it to your tank to speed the cycle up considerably.

Let us know what else we can help with.

Sean1364

Reaction score
Some people let the tank cycle while there are animals in it. This requires very close monitoring of water parameters, and daily water changes, and it does stress the animals in the tank. Sometimes this can't be avoided, though. (If you google for cycling with fish, you should be able to find loads of articles.)

Cycling is just the nitrogen cycle that happens in water as beneficial bacteria build up with time, and once they are present, they break down ammonia and nitrite that are toxic and turn them into nitrate.

If you know anyone with an established fishtank already, you can hit them up for a used filter (keep it wet) and add it to your tank to speed the cycle up considerably.

Let us know what else we can help with.

I read the article you referenced and that suggested several weeks. What time period would you recommend? A minimum, perhaps.

Sean1364

Reaction score
I'm really concerned about choking risk since I used gravel in the tank along with sand. How intelligent are Axolotls? Do they really go out of their way to consume rocks? I got the largest size I could, but I imagine they could still eat them. Should I just take them out? I should, right?

I mean, I'd like to leave them in, but the little guys would make a diet of them, wont they?

http://yfrog.com/5b35994556308588083211203j

jclee

Reaction score
Good question. Kuphie recently posted a thread about a large rock that was swallowed that might give you an idea of how big a rock they can ingest:
http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be.../f58-sick-axolotl/68478-large-rock-belly.html

I wouldn't consider any rocks safe unless they were larger than the size of an adult axolotl's head. I don't think it's that they're stupid, but I suspect their native environment just doesn't have choking hazards of that size, so that they may not have evolved with any coping mechanisms (regurgitation etc) that would help. That's my guess, anyway. But yes. They will accidentally ingest anything that can fit into their mouths.

The time it takes a tank to cycle depends on whether you're cycling it with or without animals in it, and whether you were able to get a starter colony from someone's tank (used filters or gravel) to jumpstart it. I'd hate to give you an exact time estimate, since there are a lot of factors that affect the time a tank takes to cycle. If you have/get test kits of ammonia, NO2, and NO3, then you can keep testing the water until you have 0 ammonia, 0 NO2, and at least 5 NO3.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Sean!

Check these links:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cycling
Caudata Culture Articles - Foods

I would get rid of all the gravel. Sand is a brilliant substrate but make sure not to have a layer thicker than an inch.
Brineshrimp alone is not enough. You will need to provide an staple of earthworms, which you can complete with other options (check link).

I would strongly recommend cycling the tank first. There´s no rush!
It usually takes about a month to properly cycle a tank. But as already mentioned, this varies depending on certain factors.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1