Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Yay! Look what I got this weekend!

tindalos

Reaction score
I am now the proud owner of a group of four Pipa carvalhoi. They are sub-adults at 4-5cm, and I think that I got at least two males (heard them singing just hours after I released them into their temporary tank (I'm cycling the larger tank intended for them)). And probably at least one female, she's got a thick dark patch of skin covering the lower half of her back, it looks almost as if she is carrying eggs.

I have been given the opportunity to obtain yet another, larger female from another source and I will add her to the group within the coming weeks.

Here's some photos... (sorry for the dust on the glass, and the overall crappy quality)

Cheers

carvalhoi_01.jpg

carvalhoi_02.jpg

carvalhoi_03.jpg

Eugenia

Reaction score
Congratulations!!

I got 4 P.carvalhoi from Sweden last December to Russia - and they are doing quite fine. The only one female lays eggs about once a month but still I never saw any tadpoles.
I hope for the best.

tindalos

Reaction score
Thanks for the answers.

Eugenia - Thankyou, amusing to hear that Sweden is exporting frogs to Russia. :D Their origin is probably from the same stock as mine.

What happens to the eggs then, does she just shed them? Have you tried removing all the other frogs from the tank and leaving the female by herself?

I saw a drawing somewhere (maybe it was here on Caudata) of someone using an old-school breeding cage for livebearing fish (a "V"-shaped construction with a thin slit at the bottom where the tadpoles fall through and swim out to safety).

They are most definitely cannibals as seen in this video of P.parva:

Cheers

Last edited:

RainFrog

Reaction score
Those frogs are very cool. Do they engage in egg care like parva do?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1