Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Who am I?

dgwebster

Reaction score
Thought I would drop the customary "hello" in on this thread, and give a little background on me, myself and I.

I have been a fish keeper for about 5 n a half years, with a 47 gallon, 20 gallon and 7 gallon tank, mostly tropical fish.

I moved into newts recently. I saw what I first new to be called Mexican Salamanders (Axolotl) about 2 years ago and fell in love with them. Ironically, I still don't have any, but I do have Chinese Firebelly and Alpine newts along with a Leopard Gecko.

I'm an amateur enthusiast and always open to peoples suggestions and thoughts, however I do disagree with those that insist that their opinion is always right and will openly tell anyone of this so (*there is an exception to this, which is where the majority would agree that anything that is harmful to a creature being discussed is in fact harmful.) To try and help further with this perception, some will argue that certain fish cannot be kept with others, whilst others will argue the opposite. If anyone is not willing to listen to the reasoning of another with an open mind to possibly changing their opinion, we will learn nothing.

This is what I am here to do: learn from others, learn from their experiences, however unless it is undeniably by everyone the correct action/method/whatever do not be disappointed or offended (or offensive) if I choose the advice of others over you. Its not personal, its about the creatures!

With that said, I must look like a pompous twit, so I'm going to shut up now. Smell you later!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1