Some Product Questions

Snailbait

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
April
I'm currently looking around to find the most suitable products for setting up my tank, but I have a few questions that I hope someone on here could answer. :confused:

Firstly, I've been overwhelmed by the many many types and brands of filters - and I just have no idea what I need. I have a 4ft tank (I think it's 4ft anyway...). Does anyone have a good filter to recommend, one that I can get in Australia and isn't overly expensive? Obviously I will need to invest in a good filter from the start, I know that, but I also don't want to spend more than I need to on one.

Secondly, I've read some conflicting opinions on what type of sand to use as my substrate. I haven't decided what colour I would like. Is there a list somewhere of sand types to avoid?

I will be using rain water from my tank, so luckily I won't have to worry about chlorine and other chemicals. Does anyone have any particular brands to recommend for pH, nitrate etc tests, and what price would I be looking to pay for them?

What do you think of this Ammonia Alert thing? It stays in the tank and will notify you of the ammonia level. Is it worth buying?

2147dhu.jpg

More to come, that's all for now. :D

Thanks in advance! Hopefully my questions haven't be directly answered on here already and I didn't see them... :eek:

Last edited:
hi april...it is great you are doing research now..........i use a canister filter and i havent had a problem yet.........it wasnt overly expensive....you are able to use sand, bare bottom or gravel under 1mm only........do not use large gravel.........as for brand of sand i cant help you im sorry.......i do know you can use childrens play sand from bunnings.....the testing kits to get are the drops(i dont know the name of them sorry) do not get the strips they are very unrelible..........i have never seen the ammonia alert so i cant help you..........regular water checks i would do the same thing.....

Thanks Leanne! I will avoid the strips. I think I might get the Ammonia Alert as well as testing it weekly - it may be worth it! I will have a look around Bunnings and see what they have - as long as I wash it properly, any type of sand from there will be okay?

You can use children's play sand, not building grade sand. HERE is an article about substrates with a good section about sand.

As far as a filter, canister types are more popular as Lea mentioned. I use a Zoo Med 501 for my 4 ft. tanks with an air stone at the opposite end. The air stone is just to disrupt the surface. These are pretty inexpensive in the states (especially online), I don't know about about there.

I also seem to remember from my Dart Frog days that depending on your area and collection methods rainwater isn't always a worry free deal. :eek:

I also seem to remember from my Dart Frog days that depending on your area and collection methods rainwater isn't always a worry free deal. :eek:

Thanks for the forewarning! :happy: It was tested when I had my previous axolotls and was fine (don't remember specifics), and I will be testing it for everything when I set up my tank again. Anything in particular I should be worried about?

Anything in particular I should be worried about?

Sorry... not that smart! I only have some vague remembrance of the article. I may still have it as I kept some issues of Vivarium Magazine (which is sort of like black and white TV's... you probably weren't alive yet :D) but I just moved and I'm not even sure which of 7 unpacked boxes they would be in. If your water tests OK I'd imagine that it is as long as you don't live next door to a battery making facility or something. :happy:

Sorry... not that smart! I only have some vague remembrance of the article. I may still have it as I kept some issues of Vivarium Magazine (which is sort of like black and white TV's... you probably weren't alive yet :D) but I just moved and I'm not even sure which of 7 unpacked boxes they would be in. If your water tests OK I'd imagine that it is as long as you don't live next door to a battery making facility or something. :happy:

LOL - no battery factories here!! :D I live out in the middle of nowhere. :rolleyes:
Thanks again for the tip! :cool:

If you have a clean source of rainwater I think the only thing to worry about is that it will be relatively soft water (no mineral content). In soft water, your pH will tend to drop over time and will need to be monitored carefully. You could consider adding a pH buffering product or "RO right" (which is a mineral supplement for purified water).

If you have a clean source of rainwater I think the only thing to worry about is that it will be relatively soft water (no mineral content). In soft water, your pH will tend to drop over time and will need to be monitored carefully. You could consider adding a pH buffering product or "RO right" (which is a mineral supplement for purified water).

Thank you!! I will check into it. We do get limescale build up in our pipes and kettles, does that mean we have hard water?

Some more questions:

Is this a good product, and at a good price? It has 100 pH tests, and 60 Nitrite and Ammonia tests. Any suggestions on a different product if this one isn't good? :happy:

For a 4ft tank (don't have exact measurements yet), how powerful a filter will I need? Would a 400L/H be enough?

Thanks!! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back