Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Algae?

Refia

Reaction score
For a while now, I am constantly having to clean my tank as algae has been growing off anything possible.

I try to change about 12l of water every 2 weeks (It's a 64 litre tank) but no luck, I've tried green away but no luck. I think it's my filter, when I first got my axie, I had a smaller filter and a rather small tank (probably about 20 litres or less) but as he got bigger, I changed to a newer tank, which came with a filter. All the algae has occurred only after this. I've been looking into a canister filter, as I heard they're good for axolotls, but it's the cost, and I don't think my parents could afford it. Any idea's on how I can reduce the algae?

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Is the tank in direct sunlight? And you should be doing water changes more frequently...about 25% of the volume per week.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
It's my understanding that algae grows in the presence of light and nutrients. More plants means more competition for the nutrients and less algae. Less ambient light, artificial light, and no direct sunlight helps as well.
I still get some... but not much as I have a plant heavy tank. I also got a snail the other day with a plant. Pea sized and unidentified as yet (not a Ramshorn) that eats algae like a beast and ignores the plants. I know you have to be very careful with snails.... but I like the little guy and he stays hidden in the plants away from my Axolotls. Some Shrimp are algae eaters... but they make tasty snacks for most animals and don't last long I'm afraid. :happy:

Refia

Reaction score
It's not in direct sunlight, I have the tank in the corner of my room, so it's out the way of the window and not much sunlight is shining into the tank.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
If the tank is filtered then a 25% water change every week is a waste of time (after the algae gets cleared up). I have a couple of suggestions for you; I still think you should increase the frequency of water changes to once a week at around 15% then decrease the amount of light the tank gets. Also, what type of food are you feeding your axolotl and how often?

Refia

Reaction score
In the evening I don't switch his light on, but I have a light that has a blue effect (it came with the tank) which I do switch on at night as it provides a very dim lighting. I feed him live bloodworms, as a treat. But mostly pellet foods, I give him about 3-4 small pellets a day.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Ahh the good ole pellets....unfortunately both foods you are feeding are nasty about polluting your tank water. If it's possible to switch to a diet mostly of worms it would cut down on your algae problem tremendously, if not completely wipe it out.

Refia

Reaction score
That's great! I'm not sure where I would be able to get worms though, I don't have a garden and there is only one place that sells axolotls in my town, and they don't even know how to look after them, so they would be of no help to me. If there was anyway I could order them online though, that would be fantastic.

Oh, I was just speaking to my friend, and he recommended going to a tackle shop, as they'll probably sell worms there!

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
a 25% water change every week is a waste of time

you should increase the frequency of water changes to once a week at around 15%

A 25% change on a 17 gallon tank is about 4.2 gallons

A 15% change on a 17 gallon tank is about 2.5 gallons

Don't see why the difference of 1.5 gallons would make it a "waste of time".

femme

Reaction score
I get my worms from a bait shop to. I can never remember what they are called :eek: so i just ask for worms for my axolotl and he knows exactly what i want :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1