Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Lizard information/forum requested.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, i´m hoping someone can point me in the direction to a good source of information for european lizards, perhaps a forum too. Although i´m a newthead, i´m also fascinated by reptiles, and i´ve always had a soft spot for european lacertids. When one has spent his childhood catching Podarcis, it´s hard not to :p
The thing is, i´m considering getting a pair or a trio of CB Podarcis pityusensis (absolutely stunning creatures), and so i would like to have access to reliable information and a forum (hopefully with breeders eager to sell their captive bred stock xD).
So, if you know of such a thing, please let me know :D

PS: Only good, reliable sources. I know there has been a lot of smuggling of european lacertids, and i don´t want any of that...not even touching it with a stick from a distance.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Wish I could help...... but thanks for the post. They are beautiful animals previously unknown to me. They look to be good candidates for Keeping and breeding assuming that they have no difficult to meet food requirements (ants or something of the like). :happy:

My go to spots USED to be ( 2-3 years ago) Kingsnake.com and repticzone.com however it appears their Lacerta forum is now populated by uh....er.... well.... idiots talking about "Italian Wall Lizards" that they aren't competent to own. :eek:

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
They are gorgeous aren´t they?
I can´t believe this species is native to my country!
It´s funny how we are always amazed and mesmerised by tropical or exotic species, but rarely by our own fauna. And yet, we have gems down here...S.s.gallaica, L.schreiberi, T.marmoratus...they are all surreally beautiful and unique.

As far as i know, Podarcis is an easy genus to keep. People seem to have great results. Ach...i´m already drooling just to think about a terrarium with a pair of these running around....

I despise Kingsnake.com....i used to visit it in my old ball python days and to check out pictures of exotic species. Never again.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers.
I rummaged around a bit but seems information on lacertids is awfully scarce in those sites (or perhaps i didn´t look properly, which is very possible xD).

Most "quality" info i´ve been able to find was in german but even with a translator it´s often hard to understand.

jclee

Reaction score
I have to admit that the reptile forums I've been able to find are usually less informed/advanced than this site seems to be.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, what can i say, except that i agree xD There´s no other forum like this one!

In one of my many spontaneous decission makings (i suffer from severe chaotic thinking), i´ve decided to change the nature of my next adquisition xDD I´ll continue to try and research Podarcis in captivity as i have every intention of keeping a small group in the future, but for now, my choice is going to be a Lampropeltis getula californiae. There are both practical and whimsical reasons for this decission xDD

Finding the snake i want is proving more difficult than i expected. I´m looking for a striped (clean pattern) nominal (homozygous) animal.....but it seems that very few people breed nominals anymore...all the babies i have found so far were het. for something (normally albino). Damn the bloody morph market!!! xDD
Anyway, i´ve wanted one for ages..it was my other option when i got my sinaloae, and since the sad demise of my ball python i just need another snake...

Last edited:

CherryBlossom

Reaction score
I hope you find what you are looking for :) My hubby wont let me get a snake :( boooo to him!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1