Trying Live food

Darkkrystyl

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Darkkrystyl
So I bought a FBN from Petcetera, (before learning what a 'bad move' this is generally thought to be) they were feeding thier newts Pellets and Tiny Crickets,...
I bought the pellets, but they didn't have the same size crickets as I needed for my FBN, So I fed my guy pellets only, the next week I went back, and was informed that they didn't actually even sell the smaller crickets that they feed their newts - I'm just wondering, will FBN's even be able to catch Crickets? ... my guy seems kind of slow (exept for in the water)
I'm just wondering what other types of live food (waxworms, mealworms, maggots?)
would be best to start my FBN out on, as I want him to get more nutrition than those nasty little pellets - which I never see him eat-
thank you,
Krystyl

Earthworms are the best food you can offer, and should be the staple. Since variety is always best, you can complete the diet with bloodworms (frozen, not freeze-dried), waxworms, small crickets (feed them to the newt with tweezers, otherwise as you say, they are rather clumsy and might not get them), isopods, gammarids or other fresh water crustaceans, blackworms...

Make sure to read the caresheet on CC. In order to allow your new animal to recover from the stress you need to provide excellent conditions, so check that you are providing everything that it needs.

Good luck!

my boys eat wax worms and live bloodworm as well as the dried stuff. I have Daphnia in their tanks but im not sure if they have eaten any yet as they are so tiny heehee.

CherryBlossom - doesn't your daphnia get sucked into your filter?

I will soon find out. I only put some in a couple of days ago and there are hundreds still swimming around.

It was suggested by others in here that I should try them on it. And so I took the advice :) Its perfectly fine to have them in your aquariums as they filter single celled algae and other foods from the water and so help to keep your tank clean. :) xxxx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back