Weird axie info?

carriw

Reaction score
Country
England
Hi all
I have just been looking on ebay for axie sellers and one has written this on his advertisement. Is this right? I thought axies didnt come out of the water?!!!

General Care
These species like to live in a tank, plastic container or bucket or similar whereby they can go underwater but also come out of the water so it's ideal to have some rocks or pieces of wood that they can climb onto and get out of the water when needed. They do not jump like frogs so no worries of them escaping.

Re: Wierd axie info?

Hi
I was just about to post about this on ebay!!!
I am so annoyed at this person!

I have actually contacted her. this is the full description. SOooo many things wrong with this!

I have for sale some ALBINO axolotl (Ambystoma mexicanum). An interesting species of Salamander native to Mexico.

Axolotls are used extensively in scientific research due to their ability to regenerate most body parts, ease of breeding, and large embryos. But they make fantastic pets as they are very interesting and unusual with interesting behaviour.

Axolotls should not be confused with waterdogs (Ambystoma tigrinum and Ambystoma mavortium). Beware anyone selling Axolotl's as Waterdogs as this is an innacurate description which would suggest their lack of knowledge regarding these species.

Axolotls are an endangered species but still legal to import and to keep. So the purchase and sale of these wonderful creatures is totally legal. It is suggested anyone purchasing these buy a small group instead of buying them individually as they enjoy the company of their own species and also you would give them an opportunity to breed and do your bit for increasing the numbers of axolotls in existence.

Length: 5" at the moment (Adult) and at an age where they are showing mating behaviour.

Feeding: bloodworm (frozen or live available at all pet stores), bugs, creepy crawlies (anything you find in the garden), small pieces of prawn or crab sticks (available cheaply in supermarkets such as Iceland or Lidl).

General Care
These species like to live in a tank, plastic container or bucket or similar whereby they can go underwater but also come out of the water so it's ideal to have some rocks or pieces of wood that they can climb onto and get out of the water when needed. They do not jump like frogs so no worries of them escaping. They need ideally a small filter (such as you would see on a small fish tank) or alternatively they require a large percentage of their water to be changed each week (I suggest 40%)
To anyone who buys any of these fantastic creatures I will include written details on how to care for them and the best methods and techniques to keep them and breed them successfully.

Delivery
Collection is preferred but delivery/courier can be arranged at your expense. This sale is for the Axolotl only not for delivery.

I sent her this....

Hello
I have just seen your ad for axolotls.
Your information is dangerous and inappropriate for axolotls.
They do not need a heat pack!!! This could kill them, temp of over 20 degrees is very bad for them.
They will NEVER want to leave the water unless their water is unsuitable!
The best food for them is earthworm.
I would call 5" sub adult. they should NOT be bred until they are 18 months old.
Sorry for bringing all this up but i am passionate about axolotls and seeing that some are being looked after wrongly is very distressing to me!
I suggest you read up on www.axolotl.org

She sent me this...

They do need a heat pack if the weather is cold. Heat packs do not increase the temp, they keep the poly box the same temp as the water in the bag inside it. The best food for them is not earthworms, the guy's who import them from mexico do not ever feed them earth worms, nor do they eat earth worms in their natural habitat. 5" is not sub adult, it is not full grown but it is classed as adult. do you know how long it takes for an axolotl to reach 5"? Im guessing not as you say they shouldn't be bred till 18 months. I have read on axolotl.org before and other sites, but I prefer to listen to people who catch/import and breed these from Mexico as they know more about amphibians from their native land. I appreciate informative information but do not appreciate comments from uneducated people. It's nice to see somebody who cares and you clearly do, but please check your facts before you send rude messages. Thanks

I'm rather angry and feel like i'm banging my head against a brick wall...
I will be replying at some point to her.

Mel
Edit: obviously i am no expert but if she is giving people the wrong info, this is not right.

Last edited:

You should post the link to where we can all send her a message telling her she has the wrong facts about axolotls then she we realize that she is wrong a couple hundred letters should do her.

Not sure if i'm allowed but here it is axolotl ad sorry if i shouldn't.
If its removed just search axolotl on ebay.

Mel

They do need a heat pack if the weather is cold. Heat packs do not increase the temp, they keep the poly box the same temp as the water in the bag inside it.
Omg where do she lives?Antarctic?
She want to boil them or what?
What a shame...

I think i need a break from axolotls lol
I sent her this back

I actually breed axolotls, I know that they reach 5" around 5 months or so. This is not adult. It is harmful for females to breed until they are about 18 months old. and the larvae may not be very strong.
You cannot accurately sex an axolotl until they are about 9 inch minimum.
Axolotls can grow upto 12" therefore 5 inch is not even half their adult size.
I would like to know where in the wild axolotls would find crabsticks????
You need to remove the info about them climbing out of the water. Do you actually keep them or just import them.
I apologise if you think i am being rude. When its an animals welfare at stake i cannot help but comment.
Axolotls would never get too cold. Axolotl experts and enthusiasts actually fridge their axolotls to de-stress and heal them.

Mel

What the hell is a crabstick? How does this person know they need land cause they like to go out of water has this person even owned an axolotl, if she does I will be surprised if they are still living.

I am also concerned that she (i think she is a she) thinks its ok to import them from the wild. I think this is what she is saying....

Heres crabsticks

Mel

Attachments

• crabstick.jpg
    crabstick.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 328

Why would you want to feed an axolotl that. I will be sending her a message later telling that she has the wrong information, where is she getting this information from.

Importers dont care about the health from the animals,they only thing they care about is there money:mad:

Can't get over this line: "as this is an innacurate description which would suggest their lack of knowledge regarding these species."

is there any way of reporting her on ebay? I cannot believe this! perhaps getting in touch with RSPCA or something? Alerting them to this?

ebay has a report button just informed ebay of this seller dont know what good it will do

I can't get over the line I have read on axolotl.org before and other sites, but I prefer to listen to people who catch/import and breed these from Mexico as they know more about amphibians from their native land. She would rather listen to the people who capture them than the guy who knows about axolotls more than anyone else. Isn't it illegal to capture axolotls from thier own habitat as they are endangered, also I don't think you can find albinos in the wild. The women has no idea what's she is on about.

just got an email of ebay saying...

we'll investigate your report as soon as possible usually with 24-36 hours.
if we find the item/s breach ebays listing policies for sellers we'll remove them from the site.

hopefully they will be :happy:

Fantastic, I came here to bring this to the community's attention but find it's already done :)

Below is the email I wrote yesterday ... only to find it was long for the stoopid ebay email form:

Hi, I'm a fellow axolotl keeper and I would like to point out a few things in your listing that I feel need addressing. I'm not meaning to be a smart **** here and I'm not nit picking. I sincerely have nothing in mind other than the welfare of these animals which I care about greatly.

I think you need to point potential buyers towards a creditable source of information such as axolotl.org for their own research.

Axolotls never "need" to leave their water, they are neotenic and remain in a 100% aquatic larval state throughout their life.

At 5" your axolotls are still juveniles and only half adult size, it should be pointed out that they will double in size and could grow up to 12" in length.

Some mention of their lifespan should also be included because with proper care, your buyers will be entering into at least a 10 year commitment.

Earthworms are almost universally recognised as the best staple diet for axolotls.
It's at best misleading and at worse, irresponsible to lead people to believe that breeding axolotls in some way will help the species. All this does is increases the number of axolotls in captivity.

You suggest that people buy a small group of axolotls, stating that they enjoy the company of others. I don't actually agree that they enjoy the company of others, but even so, you really should mention that a group of 3 or 4 axolotls would need a 4ft tank.

Are you really saying that axolotls can be kept in a bucket?

You respond to a question claiming you will use heat pads to keep the axolotls warm, you do realise that axolotls require temperatures between 16 and 18 degrees Celsius don't you?

Posting at the moment should be discouraged because if anything, they are going to overheat and need chilling.

You also state that each box will hold 8 individually bagged axolotls - what size box are you planning on using here?

Given the inaccuracies so far, would you like someone to check over the "written details", you supply your buyers with, regarding the care of axolotls?

I know it seems that I'm having a go but I honestly worry that these animals will be bought by people that will take your listing at face value and will do no further research.

I'm hoping you will please revise your listing in view of my criticism and I wish you the very best in rehoming your axolotls.

Ron.

The chopped down email read more like:

You Very Bad... Much Wrong...Change Information or I Will Report.

They didn't bother replying to me and nothing has changed since the email was sent, except they have now sold one axolotl, so I have also reported the listing to ebay stating that:

Inaccurate information is given which could prove detrimental to the animals' well being.

Hopefully this listing will be removed shortly.

i think ebay has removed the listing i can't find it listed on ebay anymore :happy:

Here's and interesting thing, you know crab sticks, are not made out of crabs? Don't ever say I'm not interesting.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back