Illness/Sickness: Sick newt? paler pigment.. not eating .. need help

newt123

Reaction score
Country
Malta
i have recently bought 3 chinese firebelly newts. one is around 3 inches in length, the other two a bit smaller, the smallest of which only around an inch, perhaps slightly taller.
while the bigger one seems healthy and fine, i need to ask questions about the other two.
the middle one had some missing fingers when i bought, but i thought they will grow up again and he was the last in the tank, so i got him. i ve noticed that whilst he acts healthy, eats and acts pretty curious, he is losing pigmentation. i have seen other threads on coloration on this forum, but what i mean is that, in some places, instead of black, he is almost turning pinkish / white, almost transparent skin tone... i am not sure if this is a fungal infection, since the skin still looks smooth, and nothing that looks parasitic seems to be growing on it. i am very inexperienced as to newt care and habits, so i do not know if this is normal, or cause for alarm.
the smaller one (in the photo) is the one that worries me most. it was pretty active when i had it, but is recently just staying on a rock outside the water, doesnt move much, and i do not think he is eating. his skin has also turned paler.

some details: i have already tested ph and nitrates / nitrites. both are fine ph around 7 and nitrates are very low since i mostly feed on rocks, and very little underwater. temperature may be a bit on the high side, since i live in a country where summer is very warm.- it is not 22-23 degrees as i write. i keep a fan blowing constantly over the tank, and also have been icing the aquarium water, placing it in a plastic container dripping onto the water. i have also read the link about cooling the tank. however this is minimal, it would be apprx 25 degrees if i do not do this, buti understand that 23 is still high... i m not sure if it is the heat, or anything else, so any feedback is very much appreciated. i do not know much about newts, and my only source of info is the net, so thanks for any advice...

Attachments

• n2.jpg
    n2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 282
Hi Newt123,

From what I understand Chinese Firebellies are pretty much fully aquatic unless conditions are not great in the water. I probably can't help much myself but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon and will help.

In the mean time more information on your setup and your water quality will probably speed the process up.

How big is the tank (photos of the setup are usually helpful)?

How much water is in the tank?

Are you using a filter and if so what one?

And can you get more info on the Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate levels in your tank?

Hope this helps,

Ash

Looks like "the shine". See:
Caudata Culture Articles - Illness Part 3

It´s a skin problem, relatively common on new imports.
Keep terrestrial, cool and feed well.

Your animals require excellent conditions in order to recover from the horrors of the importation. They are very stressed and as you can see, some are ill, so you need to make sure that you are providing as best care as you can. In order to do that, READ as much as possible.

Those temps wouldn´t necessarily be a problem for a healthy animal, but since yours have had their inmune systems compromised by the stress and neglect, they can be a problem for them. I would try to reduce the temp to 18-20ºC. If they are staying terrestrial, at least partially, i wouldn´t use a fan. It will cause very rapid dehidration.
Separate the animals individually, this is important.

Good luck with them, and some advice for the future.... research a species before acquiring it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back