Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

DIY summer cooling for your critter room...

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER:

DO not do this. This is unsafe in ways I cannot even begin to describe...

This set up is unsafe as the fan is not rated for a wet environment. The cooling coil condensate could contaminate the motor causing a fire or electrocute someone.

129210575639311632.jpg

Desperate times make for desperate measures.;) Dangerous, but it made me think of all you Ozzies and the annual rash of cooling posts.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
I doubt it. While the theory is sound, the surface area of the water and ice heat exchanger is far too small. Well that and you would need to add ice frequently...

Mac Myers

Reaction score
Heh... I didn't even get that the tiny copper tubing was supposed to cool the air! I assumed that it was the other way around. Duh. :lame:

I thought about using a sump of this type but decided I could neither make, nor afford to buy, enough Ice to keep it up and running. :eek:

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Put it on a GFCI socket and it'll be fine.

SludgeMunkey

Reaction score
Found this on the web as I was surfing around. It made me laugh aloud for quite a while. I priced out the cost of the materials used in this based on local prices and discovered it is about the same amount of money to buy a window mount air conditioner off the floor model self at Menards. (roughly 60 dollars)

While a GFCI would help, they cost 20-35 dollars each and most homes only have them installed near sinks (as required by electrical code). I still think the two main fallacies here are the insubstantial cooling surface (not enough copper) and the need to re-ice it often make it a poor long term solution.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1