Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Axolotls Not Moving Much

Sean1364

Reaction score
I just placed my Axolotls in the tank. They immediately met up with each other and haven't moved much since. They're just standing in one place. Is this normal in a new tank, or should they be more interested in exploring?

callina

Reaction score
Axolotls aren´t very active animals. They like to sit in hiding places, mostly together. In the evening, at feeding time they become more active. So I think, your axies behavior is absolut normal.;)

Tina

kimko86

Reaction score
I agree, very normal. I still have a tank with a bunch of babies and the just sit around and chill. Give yours time to adjust and they will start exploring their new home after a while.

lol, maybe they have jet lag.

Kim

lea

Reaction score
they are probably up all night partying while you are a sleep.....

Sean1364

Reaction score
Just as an update, they've been VERY active since adapting to the new tank. Thanks for the information.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1