Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Getting a 2nd axi?

angie

Reaction score
Simon is 5 months old now and we are considering getting another axi to keep him/her company I have read that they can be canibalistic when young
Is he still too young?:confused:
We have become quite attached to him and would not want to do anything that would harm him
any advice would be helpful

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
They are more likely to attack each other when young, yes, and they are still juveniles, but you can take steps to prevent this behavior.

How large is the tank, and do you have lots of hides/barriers in the tank?

callina

Reaction score
axies aren´t really canibalistic, but as long as one fits in the mouth of the other, it can be eaten. So you have to pay attention, that all axies in the tank are at the same size. If your tank is big enough and there are many hiding places in, it wouldn´t be a problem.

daniellog

Reaction score
I have three young ones in my tank and they all get along fine. I think if you give them enough hides and feed them well then it they should be ok.

angie

Reaction score
My tank is 24 inches by 12 inches with sand on the bottom
I have plenty plants but only 1 hide
He is fed twice a day with defrosted frozen blood worm (not sure if this is too much but he always eats it all)

Shizeric

Reaction score
That tank is a 10 gallon tank, and the absolute minimum size for 1 Axolotl, so a 2nd Axolotl would not be appropriate. If you do plan to get a 2nd Axolotl, look for at least a 20 gallon long.

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Axolotl are really greedy! when you look down at him his head and body should be same width if his body is larger you might want to cut back.

I had two juveniles in a tank of the same dimensions, although there were no injuries they nipped quiet a bit and messed the tank so quickly.

As Eric said a 3 foot long tank would give them plenty of space each.

angie

Reaction score
thanks everyone
looks like i'm getting a bigger tank
never thought i would take to this axolotl rearing when my daughter got an egg from her teacher at school kept it in a margerine tub for a while never thought it would survive as most of the others given away didn't
I got a lot of help from this forum just by reding other peoples posts
thanks again
Am I crazy or do they know when you walk into a room as he always comes to the front of the tank and swims up and down
I tell my daughter he waving at me lol

esoteric

Reaction score
That tank is a 10 gallon tank, and the absolute minimum size for 1 Axolotl, so a 2nd Axolotl would not be appropriate. If you do plan to get a 2nd Axolotl, look for at least a 20 gallon long.

I'm still confused. If this is true, then surely the statement below, from our leader, needs removing from the caudata.org articles:

"A 60 x 30 x 37 cm (24 x 12 x 15 inches) aquarium is adequate for two adults." John Clare. January 2001

I've heard 10 gallon per axolotl (but never sure if that's imperial or US gallons)
I've heard 1 square foot of floor space per axolotl.

I really don't think space is such an issue in a 2ft tank and I think with vigilant monitoring of water quality and with a strict cleaning regimen, 2 adult axolotls can happily co-exist in one...

I'd love a definitive answer on this one.

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have three in a 3ft / 18''/ 18'' tank. There are a lot of floating plants , mainly because they chaps love to remodel their tank and uprooted the carefully planted/placed plants:(. They have three places to hide , but two insist on squeezing into one . I monitor the water weekly , and feed every three days. The axolotl measure 31cm, 28cm and 22 cm.
The last time an injury occurred was because I was in a rush and chucked a pile of worms in .
I personally think if you keep a close eye on their living conditions you will be fine. However bigger is better .

esoteric

Reaction score
I have three in a 3ft / 18''/ 18'' tank. There are a lot of floating plants , mainly because they chaps love to remodel their tank and uprooted the carefully planted/placed plants:(. They have three places to hide , but two insist on squeezing into one . I monitor the water weekly , and feed every three days. The axolotl measure 31cm, 28cm and 22 cm.
The last time an injury occurred was because I was in a rush and chucked a pile of worms in .
I personally think if you keep a close eye on their living conditions you will be fine. However bigger is better .

I agree with this.

kimko86

Reaction score
Actually if your tank is 24" by 12", it's at least a 15 gallon tank, and depending on how tall it is it might even be a 20 gallon tank.
That's according to this site, no way I would have known that off the top of my head, lol.

Kim

Shizeric

Reaction score
I'm still confused. If this is true, then surely the statement below, from our leader, needs removing from the caudata.org articles:

I've heard 10 gallon per axolotl (but never sure if that's imperial or US gallons)
I've heard 1 square foot of floor space per axolotl.

I really don't think space is such an issue in a 2ft tank and I think with vigilant monitoring of water quality and with a strict cleaning regimen, 2 adult axolotls can happily co-exist in one...

I'd love a definitive answer on this one.

I have actually talked to John about this statement and he acknowledges that changes on that particular part need to be changed.

esoteric

Reaction score
thanks everyone
looks like i'm getting a bigger tank
never thought i would take to this axolotl rearing when my daughter got an egg from her teacher at school kept it in a margerine tub for a while never thought it would survive as most of the others given away didn't
I got a lot of help from this forum just by reding other peoples posts
thanks again
Am I crazy or do they know when you walk into a room as he always comes to the front of the tank and swims up and down
I tell my daughter he waving at me lol

Most people here fall somewhere along the crazy spectrum. I have a whole room that can only be described as "The Axie Room" whenever anyone goes in there, the axies are up on their back leggs, begging for worms...especially my 2 chunky yorkshire lasses ... Does anyone else here apologise for disappointing their begging axies?

jclee

Reaction score
All the time. I can't even walk into the room without actually saying "Hey, Artie. Hi Max," as though they could hear and understand.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1