Keeping Axolotls book

Refia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was on amazon, looking to see if they sold any books on Axolotls. And I came across this in the comments section for the book 'Keeping Axolotls'.

"The information contained within this book is far superior to the arrogant bile spouted on particular caudata forums, which have an unfortunate habit of bringing those with true and informed interest in the hobby into disrepute."

This is completely rediculous, I have found this forum to be a fountain of knowledge, with the amount of experienced Axolotl keepers, there is no book that could really beat the information you can get from some one with real experience. In the book, they even referred to them as "Reptiles" when they are clearly amphibians.

Has anyone here read this book, if so, what was your opinion on it? I haven't, but reading the few pages available on amazon, I was cautious of buying after reading some of the very obvious mistakes the author made.

I read that at the library...It is not a bad book has some information and not too much is wrong. but it is not worth buying

"The information contained within this book is far superior to the arrogant bile spouted on particular caudata forums, which have an unfortunate habit of bringing those with true and informed interest in the hobby into disrepute."
Trying to sell books. Obviously has an inferiority complex..... most likely by having been corrected by members of this forum.

And Amphibians in most cases make very poor reptiles. A couple of hours under the UVB Heat Lamp and they fail to thrive.

And Daz.... that care and feeding book is another in a series written circa late 90's. They are "bit" dated in most cases.

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back