Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Odd film on water

vistajpdf

Reaction score
My adult male C. orientalis who left the water nearly 2 months ago and hasn't been eating well was moved a couple of weeks ago to his own tank. Last night, I realized that I never put his filter in the new tank and when I went to do so, saw a white film over parts of the water. The water chemistry is fine. I've never used the filter full time in his old tank, just a few hours several times per week.

Anyway, I was wondering if this film could be from the calcium powder when I tried to feed him crickets. Otherwise, I'm not sure what it is and if I should change the water or not. I guess I'd have to recycle the tank if that was indicated????

Dana

obrowell

Reaction score
I had a similar thing with my axolotl tank. I used to scoop it off the top with a net once a day and do a partial water change. I repeated this for a couple of days (3/4) and I found that it eventually sorted itself out. It could be due to excess protein in the water caused by left over food etc. but as I said I found that after a few days doing the above it cleared up. Hope this helps.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The film on the surface is caused by the accumulation of proteic derivates from bacteria processed organic matter in the water. You can get rid of most of it by placing a paper towel on the surface and taking it out fast. It will absorb the layer. Long term, the way to avoid this is to make sure that you maintain an excellent cleaning routine.
Why were you using a filter just for a few hours a week? The function of a filter is to provide a media for optimal bacterial growth, so that they can process the waste. The bacteria are aerobic, so the filter constantly runs water through the colony making sure it´s well oxygenated. If you stop the current for periods longer than half an hour or so, you risk asphyxiating the whole colony since the oxygen levels will drop drastically. If this happens, the colonization of the filter media needs to happen again. Basically what you are elft with is a thing that creates unwanted current and heat...and has no benefits.
If you choose to use a filter, run it constantly so that it can fulfill its function. Otherwise don´t use a filter at all, there´s no point.

Don´t worry about the layer on the surface, just keep doing partial water changes, cleaning regularly, and if it accumulates, use the paper towels.

Mac Myers

Reaction score
If you stop the current for periods longer than half an hour or so, you risk asphyxiating the whole colony since the oxygen levels will drop drastically.

Eeeeeeeeeeek! :eek: My power apparently went off for about 2 hours yesterday. Need to whip out the test kit when I get home. Now I'm going to worry for the next few hours. :( I've got 3 filters running on my 55 gallon. :mad:

vistajpdf

Reaction score
Thanks, guys.

Azhael, I was using the filter sparingly because I worry about heat being generated (it's hot as can be here year round) and he was in the tank that was divided and I worried that in that 1/2 tank that housed the filter, the current would be uncomfortable. I have that filter breaking onto the turtle dock, so I guess it's fine. The one in the new tank is a turtle filter and the current is even lower. When I realized it wasn't ever placed, I put it on last night and forgot to turn it off - I will now just let it run, though I do worry about increasing the temperature. Is that a legitimate concern?

Thanks,
Dana

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Well, it can be depending on the model and your current temps and the volume of water.
I would suggest live plants as an alternative to filters. This species really loves still water, and deep masses of plants, so it´s a win-win situation xD

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1