Question on metamorphosis

tomkeogh

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
El Duque
Hello, I have just modified a piece of driftwood to act as a second level in my tank.

The wood is curled however, and a small portion will be out of the water.

Will having a small area of land accessible out of water actually encourage my axolotl to morph? as I understand it there has to be water issues also?

I would like to stress I do NOT in any way want to encourage them to morph but I really want to use this driftwood, if there is a slight possibility this will initiate metamorphosis I will not use it

No chance. As long as water conditions are spot on and the axolotls are healthy, you could place a free earthworm bar with lots of pretty lights on a land area and they wouldn´t be bothered.
You can use it safely.

Okay great...better safe than sorry.

I don't think ill test your earthworm theory though.

I don't know, Tom, the earthworm bar sounds pretty cool...lights, a little neon! Just don't let little Leroy stay out too late...and the other point to remember is to never, never feed your axolotls after midnight! ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back