Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Temperature in my tank to warm!

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
I havnt got my axolotls in my tank yet but the temperature is around 22-23 C... I took the hood off put a fan so its blowing the surface of the water, opened my windows and door to circulate the air and i am still having trouble keeping the temperature low... I cant afford a chiller (definatly) and im not sure what will work well... Iv read the cooling website and thats not really benefiting me to well... Has anyone got a very cheap and very simple way to cool down my tank which has also worked for them... :confused::confused:

Shizeric

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
You can use ice bottles, but you need to be consistent so the water doesn't fluctuate temperatures constantly. Or perhaps an air conditioner in the room that they are kept?

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Yeah they are being kept in my cellar at the moment at about 18-19 C, i would put my tank down there but there is absolutly no room and i wouldnt be able to fit the tank through the door.. Do the ice bottles actually work :confused:....

dazkeirle

Reaction score
I'm using an aquarium fan, aeration from an airstone and an air wall and im passing the filter jet across the side wall of the tank.

This is achieving 20.5, even today as hot as it is.

See my thread for more info on the fan.

I'm getting the best results by actually slightly angling the fan to blow the hot air out. Ted on here used an exhaust fan, not sure how much more effective it is.

Overnight it goes right down, to about 18, which is ok for UK ho as hell summer.

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
I have an airstone and doing kind of the same thing with the filter and i have a tall fan balancing on my sofa angled down at the tank, i might try another fan... But i will check out your thread :happy: ... And i was so looking foward to summer but i think my new little friends are going to make me want it to end :p.. Thanks anyways if i come up with something that works really well i will let you know... I got some experimenting to do

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a small fan blowing over the surface of the water and its keeping the temperature on the 20 degree mark. If the weather keeps up I will put a damp towel right over the tank and blow the fan onto that, this in the past when its been really hot has helped. Sometimes it might actually be better to keep the room that they are in , with the windows shut daytime and curtains/ blinds closed.
If the weather keeps like this it may be better still to get a plastic , lidded crate and keep the axies in a cooler room, or even in a well shaded spot in the garden. I will be putting my guys under the stairs if necessary ( dark and cool).

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
I think i got that from you, putting the towl over the tank it worked before and i tried it today and it didnt work at all :(, so im trying to find something else to sort it out... And im confused about the "Sometimes it might actually be better to keep the room that they are in , with the windows shut daytime and curtains/ blinds closed." Can you explain that to me i thought if i kept the windows and that closed my room would just get even hotter which it feels like it does... Thanks for your help :D

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Fill your freezer with 500ml bottles of spring water (who needs food anyway) and just rotate them 2 or 3 times a day. Once you have the system going you'll find you can keep the water temperature down to a steady 19-20C in a 23-24C room.

It's best to open windows and doors when it's cool in the evening and morning. As the daytime heat starts to build shut the windows, doors and curtains/blinds to keep the sun out. If you have a loft hatch, open it during the evening to let hot air rise up through the house into the roof space. Keep it shut during the day as the air up there will be very warm. Think seriously about electrics which add heat such as lights and internal filters. I tend to turn all tank lights off during hot days. As people have mentioned, a fan blowing on the water surface will normally reduce the tank by about 1C over time.

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Thanks for that i have some bottles of water in the freezer i just had to squash all the icecream sorry but you need the icecream lol... If i keep the my blinds shut but keep the windows open will this be ok...? The hatch idea is good its right out side my room so i will ask my dad about that i just hope any huge spiders wont come and pay me a visit.. :eek:.. I havnt got anything electric in the tank, i have a canister filter and i have the hood off with a fan which doesnt seem to be working at all :(.. But i will try the frozen bottles hopefully this will wrok otherwise i wont know wat to do... Thanks anyways :D

dazkeirle

Reaction score
I'm finding 20-21 achievable with fan / stones / filter which doesn't seem too much of an issue.

During the day i do actually almost completely shut the windows in the living room (just on the latch) and also i keep the curtains shut.

I find this helps when the sun is that side of the house.

I'm also leaving my kitchen extraction fan on to help suck out warmer air, whether it works or not i don't know.

Rain is coming though so cooler days should be soon.

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Why wont the fan and airstones work for me it seems to work for eveyone else but i dont think my tank likes me lol.. I have my windows shut now (i woke up to fing a puppy on mmy windoe ledge :eek:) so they got shut last night and have stayed shut.. i might get another fan to blow the heat out of my room aswell as on the tank.. and i spent all of these hot days inside trying to figure out a way to cool the tank down i dont want it torain lol... Thanks for your help :D

dazkeirle

Reaction score
I didn't notice huge differences tbh with the airstones, but the fan is a winner.

Closer to the water surface the better.

Make sure where ever the warm air is leaving it has somewhere to scape and isnt being sucked back down into the tank.

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
I thought it was but maybe i need to take another approach to it and see what else i can do... And then hopfully the fn wil lactually make a difference...

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
LOL i could have last night grrr but i dont think my mum and my sister (my sisters birthday present) would be to happy about that... lol, but since my sister cant look after her dog and i have to i dont see why i cant sell it:D

Mac Myers

Reaction score
but since my sister cant look after her dog and i have to i dont see why i cant sell it:D

You CAN sell it. Just do it quietly. :evil: :D

When it comes to water bottles... the bigger the better (limited by tank size of course. I use two Liters from the freezer. I also keep a gallon or two in the fridge. I leave enough room in the tank so that I can dribble in some cold water to stabilize temps if things look like they are warming up. Plus I use my goofy home made chiller.

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
I quess i could but i wouldnt get alot of money for him though hes a little well very big mongrel :D but my mum would still kill me... I have a liter bottle of water in the freezer and my axies arnt in the tank at the moment so i will have a trial to see if the bottles work...

CherryBlossom

Reaction score
I too am currently trying the bottle method... its getting my tank down to 20 verging on 21 from 22. Im gonna increase the amount of ice bottles to try and get it a bit lower. I have paddletails though not Axolotls... so Im not sure if the heat affects your critters more than mine?

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
If the bottles are working for you then i will definatly give it a go and hopefully have some sucess... Thanks for that im glad to know a cheaper option works :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1