New Tiger Help

RanRan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Salamancer
I brought home an adult tiger salamander not too long ago, and am wonder a couple things (even after checking the care pages, looking through the forum,etc.)​

First off, he doesn't seem to enjoy the earthworms I feed him, possibly they are the species that have a bad smell to them. He does gobble up crickets like no tomorrow, though I hear that they should be powdered with a vitamin mix of some sort. What brand would you recommend for the cricket powdering?

Here is a picture by the way:
dsc03023od.jpg

Most likely he has not been fed earthworms in captivity. My guess is all he got to eat was crickets. It can be a slow transition to switch them over. Personally I would try offering 1/2-whole worm (dependin on size) via long tweezers. I would do this 2-3 times a week till he eats it. Eventually he will take them regularly. Needs to get use to the idea of long shiny tweezers feeding him, and a wiggly worm all at the same time. Personally I would stop with crickets till he switches to worms unless your tiger is severly underweight. 2-3 weeks of not eating for a normal sized specimen is not an issue.

If you keep offering the "yucky" worms in my experience they will develop a taste for them and will eventually take them with gusto!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back