Question: Baby Axolotl

Jaymee

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jammy Dodger
I've recently gone out and bought a baby axolotl :D (wild type). I've got 3 mature large axolotls yellow, wild, and brown, and this baby (all female), well I feed all them the same thing and they're all fine with it, except for this baby I've had her two days now and she still hasn't eaten, aren't really sure what to do? :confused: Wait for her to take the food or buy different food entirely? I normally feed them every other day with a small strip of devon :happy:. Nothing is showing wrong with her, she looks healthy and is dancing round the tank so just think it's a bit weird that she doesn't want food.

(don't suggest blood worms because I can't buy them anywhere close to me)

I've kept axolotls for a very long time so just bare that in mind. I'm not a novice, just want your idea on it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
First, can I suggest writing in proper English? There are lots of international members on here who don't speak or read English as a first language and it is hard enough on them without having to figure out 'text' speak. Thank you.

Now onto your questions. I have no clue what devon is but I would assume it is either fish or beef? If so a diet entirely made up of this is not benificial to your axolotls but it is OK as a treat. I recommend you switch them to a main diet or earthworms. These can easily be found in your backyard or a nearby garden, as long as it is pesticide and insecticide free.

When you say baby just how small is this axolotl?

Your new axolotl is probably just stressed out from the move and should start resuming feedings within the next day or two.

cheers for tha but u didnt have insult me dude . not cool

Is the new addition in with the others?

Justin was not being insulting you, 'text speak' is not aceptable on this forum for the reasons he gave you. Have aquick look at the rules that you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Caudata.org - Terms of Service (Rules)

I don't think it was insulting but looking at the post it was in real english. No text speak there.

That is because one of the moderators fixed it so it would be readable.

Hi. I'm a very new axolotl owner (less than 24 hours!) but is there a chance this new guy doesn't like that food? Maybe offer it something else? I tried feeding my axolotl freeze dried bloodworms but he didn't give it a second glance. Within 2 hours he ate some live food.

...and Jammy Dodger's reply was in text speak, as well. I am proud to belong to an internet community that can claim the vast majority of its members as articulate, educated people. I would also like to add that I, too, would rather eat a worm, than eat devon :)

Meenug, I'm not sure whether axolotls have food preferences (they seem to be willing to eat anything, when they're hungry). But I have a few juveniles right now whose stomachs look a bit skinny, and they're not interested in food. Tomorrow, however, they'll probably be ravenous. I think it's just an issue of lack of appetite, rather than preference.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back