Question: What can I use to get my axolotl out of his tank?

Eemia

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was just wondering what some options are for catching my axolotl so I can get him into his other little tank while I clean out his usual one are.

He's about 30cm (idk how many inches that is) and I don't have a net big enough. I don't really like the idea of using a net on him anyway. When he was smaller I could just use a water jug. But now he's kinda big.

I'm not confident using a bag or something to catch him and some water in. I'm afraid of accidentally suffocating him and getting him stuck in the bag, because he'll try to swim down instead of out the opening.

Tupperware container, maybe?

I tried to find a similar post but there's a lot to sift through. :eek:

I think a tupperware container would be best, that way you can easily scoop him out without hurting him, and if needed, can transfer him into a larger container where he can wait for his clean tank. :D

Last edited:
I use a Red Cross or America cup.
Kind of my Axy Cup so to say.
I clean with it, Tranfore with it, everything samll without using my buckets.

I think a tupperware container would be best, that way you can easily scoop him out without hurting him, and if needed, can transfer him into a larger container where he can wait for his clean tank. :D

Oh okay, thankyou. :D I tried using a smaller rectangular one, and then went to put him in the smaller tank and realized that the container didn't fit. lol
He was really stubborn and I ended up having to clean around him.

my axies are very obliging and swim into my net lol, very easy to catch when I had to move them.

I've used a plastic container but he didn't like that - and boy can they splash when they panic! I now bag him in a huge freezer bag which is extremely easy to scoop him up in with quite a bit of his water too. This method doesn't seem to stress him at all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back