Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Is eating sand bad?

nrmns14

Reaction score
I'm using sand in my axolotl tank and have heard it is fine to use with axies because even if they swallow it, it will pass through them. It's decent pet shop sand as well so I know it's safe in the toxic sense. My concern is my axolotl is only little (there is a photo of him on my profile; he is only slightly bigger now, maybe 4cm). He has been eating the sand as I can see it inside him! The sand is very very fine but I just want to make sure he will be ok? He is still eating food as well so it can't have put him off his appetite. I'm also now giving him the food on a plate to avoid the sand eating habit! Sorry if this can already been asked before but I couldn't see it! Thanks :D

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Hi i dont know about the sand but i think its ok, is charlie still eating it or does he know the difference between food and sand now :D.. Oh and my axies are finally in their nice new tank :D

nrmns14

Reaction score
Ok thanks. Probably just over reacting! He seems to know it's bad to do now as his stomach is back to being red with only little bits of sand! I'll just keep an eye on him.
I'm glad your axies are in their tank now Hayley! I bet they love it there :D I took a couple of photos of Charlie in his tank which I'm about to put on my profile! Hopefully you'll put up some photos of yours in their tank soon :D

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Glad to hear he is staying away from the sand carbs lol... had a look at the pictures of charlie so cute i didnt think he had legs before but i can see that he actually does :D... i thought he was a golden albino before but not any more lol you have magic acolotl changing color :p And both of my axolotls love me now and we even play a game of chase once in a while very funny :D... I will try and put some pictures up tonight and try and get some good ones as they keep moving but i have a couple of them hanging about :happy:

Last edited:

nrmns14

Reaction score
Yeah he had tiny little legs before! He's growing up so quickly! I kind of want a gold one too. They look lovely :D
They chasing you or you chasing them? :lol:
And yeah it takes me ages to get a few good non-blurry pics!

HMAxolotl

Reaction score
Thats good glad hes doing well :D i cant wait to get them earthworms so mine can grow even more :happy: I ordered them just waiting for them now.... I found the most beutiful gold one it was BRIGHT yellow if i find it again i will definatly show you... Their doing the chasing lol and spying on me when i go to bed :grin:... I will get some more pics up in an hour or so... :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!