Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Young fire bellies??

Bkaufmann

Reaction score
So I just bought 3 firebelly newts from an exotic reptile store,
and last time I purchased two they were a bit bigger and there bellies had more ov a design to them. These little guys are orange on the bottom with a whole bunch of dots, does this just mean they are very young?? Also if that does mean they are very young is there any thing special I should do to care for very young newts, fore example feeding schedules or what they can eat?
Any help would be greatly appreciated

Ben

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Belly coloration patterns are highly variable. Some animals have no spots or very few, others have a complex design.
If they are bigger than 5,5 cm long, i´d assume they are most likely already adult.

Make asbolutely sure to read and learn as much as you can. It is very important that these newts receive excellent care and conditions in order to recover from the horrors of importation.

Bkaufmann

Reaction score
Head to tail the biggest one is 2 1/2 inches so these are tiny compared to the ones I had before, and don't worry their being treated great,
temp is 24 c, big tank, water filter 50/50 water to land ratio

now just can't wait untill they start to eat!

Bkaufmann

Reaction score
i'm starting to think this is another kind of newt, heres a pic, you be the judge newt.jpg
if you can I.D. this newt that would be great!!!

although great news, one of the newts started eating a earthworm i got for him but it was a little to big so he spit it out, looks like ill have to find smaller ones or cut them in half

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It´s not 100% clear since the image is small, but i bet those are Notophthalmus viridescens. Completely different species xD
Read about them here:
Caudata Culture Species Entry - Notophthalmus viridescens - Eastern Newt

24ºC is not an adequate temperature. They should be below 20ºC. They can tolerate, and in fact they thrive at temps as low as 3-4ºC, but high temps are a real danger. They supress their inmune system, leaving them defenseless against infections and other problems. This species appears to be particularly sensitive to fungae.

The gravel slope is really not a good idea. It will trap large amounts of debris, and in the deeper parts, oxygen will be exhausted, anaerobic conditions will appear, and the chemistry of your tank can pretty much suffer a localized version of the apocalypse.
Read this:
Caudata Culture Articles - Aquarium Substrates

Bkaufmann

Reaction score
thank you very much for the information, i was just about to post and ask if it was Notophthalmus v. piaropicola

and i thought it was 20 degrees to 30 degrees,
any reccomendations on how to lower it?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
and i thought it was 20 degrees to 30 degrees

That´s the kind of thing i was refering to when i said "make sure to read and learn as much as you can" hehe. There´s a lot of misinformation around, and particularly pet-shops tend to give very bad advice.
You are on the right place to learn, though!! The only way to learn is to accumulate information so READ! xD

You can find several ideas for cooling the tank here:
Caudata Culture Articles - Cooling

If i were you i would start reading all those articles until you know them by heart xD

Bkaufmann

Reaction score
I appreciate your help very much and i have already lowered the tempature to 20 degress and i'm continuing to lower it.
I have also took out the substrate, and it already seems like they are much happyer!

Ben

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1