Illness/Sickness: Lost limb, fungus growing, issues salt bathing, opinnions?

Kenzocliche

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello all,

We recently bought an axolotl a few weeks back, he is only a juvenile and had lost an arm whilst still in the pet shop (The arm was still mildly attached when we brought him home). Now he seems to be growing a white fuzzy substance on the wound where his arm used to be (there also is a little bone still sticking out), from reading the forums i understand this "fuzz" is most likely a fungus and the best option is to salt bathe, which i did a few times but found it caused the axie to bleed quite alot from the wound even though the wound itself has mostly healed(although the arm has yet to grow back), Im worried as it seems i should do something as the white fuzz continues to increase around the wound(although it hasnt spread anywhere else). Is this normal? Should i continue to salt bathe or is the bleeding a bad sign? Perhaps should i dilute less salt into the water as it is a younger axie and is no where near fully grown?

Also my tank levels are all perfect(PH, ammonia etc) the temperature usually sits around 16 degrees but does fluctuate from 15 to 18. He is eating normally as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try a salt solution of 2 tsp of aquarium salt per litre of water for once a day and for no longer than 10 minutes (it can cause bleeding if left in there longer than that).

Initially when i had salt bathed he started bleeding immediately, i wasnt using aquarium salt but instead just normal unionized salt. I will def give another go though as the condition is definitley worsening.

Is there much difference between aquarium salt and normal unionized salt youd purchase at a supermarket?

thanks by the way.

Is there much difference between aquarium salt and normal unionized salt youd purchase at a supermarket?

If you are talking about regular table salt then yes there is a big difference, it has a chemical added to it to prevent caking. But if you are talking about sea salt or kosher salt then they are perfectly safe and recommended.

If it is getting really bad you can increase the dosing to 3tsp per litre but any stronger than that does more harm than good and do it twice a day. But as always the least you can get away with, the better.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back