Question: Two toned eggs

vladimere

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
vladimere
I've had axies before and had them lay there eggs but out of this lot i have eggs that instead of being one uniformed color the embryo is half white and half black the mother is white and the father is a black axie seeing i have never seen this before i was wandering if it was normal and if so what can i expect these eggs to produce after hatching ?(trying to get a clear pic to upload )

Its absolutely fine.
But there is no way of telling what they are til they are hatching and sometimes even a few weeks after that.
Good luck

Mel

thanks mel i was a lil worried as i have never seen it before

Good luck with them.
Its so exciting watching them develop and trying to figure out what colours thay're going to be :D

Mel

that is so true mel atm we think most are going to be white like there mother only a few are black like there dad but the true ones to watch that have us baffled are the half white half black..... kinda hoping for a harlequin outa those

My eggs were all the same color (solid brown), but once the babies hatched, I had every color, except melanoid!

Two-toned eggs are very normal. At a certain point in embryo development (the blastula) the egg divides into an animal pole and a vegetal pole which are white and black.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back