Photo: Tank and Water Flow

Sean1364

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Sean
I was hoping someone had some suggestions on what I can do. See, I spent a lot of time trying to set up a tank that would work for the Axolotls, but it seems that they're still too bothered by the water flow from the filter. I tried moving everything to the other side of the tank and creating a sort of alley between the two large structures, but I fear it's not enough. Does anyone have any ideas on how to restructure (or things I can buy) to make that water flow a bit less intense on them?

Sorry for the quality, but here's a rough picture of the tank as is.

Attachments

• aq-005.gif
    aq-005.gif
    240.7 KB · Views: 468
Can you fit a spray bar on your filter? maybe use a sponge to distort the flow. Or point the filter outflow against the glass. Unless I am looking at the picture wrong the water looks like it is hitting the surface quiet hard! what filter are you using

Can you fit a spray bar on your filter? maybe use a sponge to distort the flow. Or point the filter outflow against the glass. Unless I am looking at the picture wrong the water looks like it is hitting the surface quiet hard! what filter are you using

I don't know, some Tetra double-filter thing. I'll go to the store tomorrow and try to find something to lighten the flow. It's not the type of filter I can put to shoot against the glass, unfortunately.

I think Tom is right here, and is giving advice which I'm also going to follow.

They really do seem to hate strong currents (however love bubbles) so adding a sponge to the filter outlet is a great idea.

Im not sure if you can but cant you put some more water in the tank so that its not hitting the surface so hard.... It might calm the water down abit, it looks like a miniture waterfull.... Might help a bit for now...

There should be an adjustment on top of the filter's inflow where you can turn it down, this will help. You can also divert the flow over a piece of foam or something like that. I have a Tetra Whisper and I divert the flow through an artificial reptile vine (ficus) so that the waterfall is flowing through the leaves. This works well for me.

Also, I recently read a post (sorry, I don't remember the author) where a 20 oz water/soda bottle had both ends cut off. The remaining cylinder was then slit up the side. This was then attached to the filter so that the waterfall flowed from both ends. If interested, I'll try to find this post again.

Shannon is on the money as usual. I actually have a thin square of styrofoam under the lip of my Penn Plax over the tank job and the water spills over the outermost 3 sides. Works pretty well. It was ugly so I wrapped it in cork sheeting.
The filter will have an adjustment as well though I find running them all out and blocked is better from a filtering standpoint. :D

I'm pretty sure you can't adjust anything on these Tetra filters.

(Tetra FS 30-60)

You've got the new style...Yeah, I don't like these as well. You can still buffer the waterfall as Mac and I have suggested.

Also, I did find that other thread - It was started by jclee so that's who I would get in touch with if you wanted more info - jclee

Just to add to the options....you can always use no filter at all. It´s definitely more natural for a species that inhabits a lake.

(Tetra FS 30-60)

I have a 30-60 that's a bit older (came with tank) that I stopped using. It has an adjustment on the pickup tube between the two reservoirs. :happy:

Azhael. I actually Use THREE filters on my 55 Gallon 48". A Penn Plax over the back for up to (60) gallons, a Repticlear 350 Internal (about 30 I think), and a Zoo Med 501. I'm a freak. I still test my water every day like a mentally ill chemist. I gotta calm down! :D

Hey Mac,

The new style Tetra filters don't have an adjustment at all. I have one that I already managed to kill...I like the old style (like yours) much, much better. ;)

Just to add to the options....you can always use no filter at all. It´s definitely more natural for a species that inhabits a lake.

Is that a feasible option? How much more trouble is it without a filter?

I mean, I'm already doing 40% water changes every day anyway.

Are you changing that much water because the tank is still cycling?

The thread that Shannon linked does show what I did, and it really does work. You could also move the filter to the shorter wall of the tank, so the current hits the sides of the tank and is slowed down some.

Indeed it´s feasible. However since axolotls are big animals that create a lot of waste, it can only be done properly in big tanks. The system works by substituting the filter by LOTS of live plants. A filter is after all just a big colony of aerobic bacteria constantly oxygenated by the current. That very same colony thrives on every submerged surface, and that includes plants. If you have lots of them, the total surface is really big and the effect is equivalent to a filter.
I don´t have a filter in any of my tanks and i assure you it´s not a problem xDD

Indeed it´s feasible. However since axolotls are big animals that create a lot of waste, it can only be done properly in big tanks. The system works by substituting the filter by LOTS of live plants. A filter is after all just a big colony of aerobic bacteria constantly oxygenated by the current. That very same colony thrives on every submerged surface, and that includes plants. If you have lots of them, the total surface is really big and the effect is equivalent to a filter.
I don´t have a filter in any of my tanks and i assure you it´s not a problem xDD

Oh, I use fake plants anyway, so that wouldn't work so well.

And I cycle my tank that frequently because I've never kept a living thing alive for more than a week ever. I just want these little guys to survive. And yet, one appears sick already.

Anyway, I filled the tank up so that the water no longer drops to the surface. Seemed to help a lot.

Have you read up on the species at Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander There's loads of info.

Once a tank is properly cycled, it generally shouldn't become un-cycled. A quick search on the internet should give you an overview of how to cycle a tank. When you change the 40%, are you dechlorinating the water first? Chlorine would kill your beneficial bacteria and put you back to square one. What exactly are your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrite levels?

Keep the questions coming. That's what this place is great for.

Have you read up on the species at Axolotls: The Fascinating Mexican Axolotl and the Tiger Salamander There's loads of info.

Once a tank is properly cycled, it generally shouldn't become un-cycled. A quick search on the internet should give you an overview of how to cycle a tank. When you change the 40%, are you dechlorinating the water first? Chlorine would kill your beneficial bacteria and put you back to square one.

Keep the questions coming. That's what this place is great for.

Yeah, I always dechlorinate all water.

I'm not sure whether my tank is cycled or not. I can see visible bacteria on the filter, but I don't have any solid evidence, since I change the water too often for the chemistry levels to ever rise to significant levels.

Maybe a little Ammonia, maybe a little Nitrate. I've never had either much higher than the lowest values. Nitrite has always been absolute 0.

It sounds like maybe your tank has never cycled, you should start taking water level reading's daily and changing water accordingly

Just another idea i use 2 hang on back filters for my 210 litre 4 foot aquarium. When setting up i place them on top of the glass lids allowing the water to flow over the whole lid then gently flow back into the tank. This has the advantages of nill disturbance to water ,has built in redudacy if 1 filter fails, is cheap,can clean one filter every other month and is inexpensive. i recommend aquaclear filters but any should work. Just ensure flow rate doest push water over tanks top.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back